PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread keyboard available for download **Rooted Only**

Garemlin
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Source: DroidLife (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/06/download-gingerbread-keyboard-for-rooted-devices/)

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/672/downloadte.jpg

What a day it has been! We finally have our 2.3 Gingerbread (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/06/whats-new-in-android-2-3-here-are-the-gingerbread-platform-highlights/) release and everyone is happier than a boy on Christmas morning.
While all this joy is in the air, Droid-Life has been exclusively gifted with a Gingerbread Keyboard Port! Thanks to Peter Alfonso (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/10/the-tato-series-an-interview-with-peter-alfonso/) of Bugless Beast (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/09/23/bugless-beast-v0-5-is-out/), we are sitting on some 2.3 goodness. So after the jump, we will have instructions and the ‘how to’ on getting this on your phone!
In the subject I mentioned this is for rooted devices only. Why? Because stock phones don’t have the rights to install .libs. Sorry non-roots! But hey, time to start looking into the subject of rooting?
Instructions:

*MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!
*Should work on ALL rooted 2.2 Android devices.
*Droid X and 2 users, see note after instructions. (Some DX users are seeing miniature versions. Again, MAKE A BACKUP.)
*Won’t work on 2.1. You need the newest Voice Search app from the market.
*Auto-correct is not working properly.
*Good idea to make a back up of your LatinIME.apk from your /system/app folder in case something goes wrong.

1. Download .zip file HERE (http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/GINGERBREAD/GingerBreadLatinIME.zip)
2. Place on root of SD Card and boot into Recovery.
3. Install .zip as you would themes etc.
4. Reboot and select “Android Keyboard” under Input Method and you are good to go.
*Note* – DX users, “In Clockwork, go to mounts and storage>mount system and then back to install .zip from sd card”.
I hope you all enjoy everyone! Anyone wanna take a gander at what else is next from 2.3?
-Tim-o-tato
Please show love to Peter by following his work on his Twitter (http://twitter.com/#%21/PeterAlfonso).
And be sure to check out all of his work on his website! (http://www.peteralfonso.com/) We love this guy!

crunkfrunk
12-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Has anybody tried this? Is it worth my time?

Abe21599
12-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Has anybody tried this? Is it worth my time?

yea wondering the same thing. droidlife made it out to be a big deal but its still just a keyboard

Droid-Xer
12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Nah, looks sweet though. Kinda looks like aosp keyboard I'm running on focused. Seems like a hassle.

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Will this keyboard be better then the original Motoblur keyboard?

Droid-Xer
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Anything that ends in blur is crap and should be upgraded at once! Jk, its a keyboard. As long as when you type, words come out then I think it works..

Abe21599
12-06-2010, 06:57 PM
better=subjective

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Hahaha! Good one, however the only thing I like about Blur is its keyboard. I'll install this just for fun, it won't interfere with the update we're supposed to get tomorrow, right? OR will it D:

Garemlin
12-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Here are the highlights of the new keyboard:

The Android soft keyboard is redesigned and optimized for faster text input and editing. The keys themselves are reshaped and repositioned for improved targeting, making them easier to see and press accurately, even at high speeds. The keyboard also displays the current character and dictionary suggestions in a larger, more vivid style that is easier to read.

The keyboard adds the capability to correct entered words from suggestions in the dictionary. As the user selects a word already entered, the keyboard displays suggestions that the user can choose from, to replace the selection. The user can also switch to voice input mode to replace the selection. Smart suggestions let the user accept a suggestion and then return to correct it later, if needed, from the original set of suggestions.

New multitouch key-chording lets the user quickly enter numbers and symbols by pressing Shift+ and ?123+, without needing to manually switch input modes. From certain keys, users can also access a popup menu of accented characters, numbers, and symbols by holding the key and sliding to select a character.

AirJordan
Well it has multi-touch support, so that makes it great already!

Droid-Xer
Its best to stay as close to stock as possible. IMO

AirJordan
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Can this be installed over a ROM? Such as Ultimate Droid?

royolpunk
Well it has multi-touch support, so that makes it great already!

Lol. Uh, did you know that the current Blur keyboard has Multi-Touch? xD

AirJordan
Yes that's what makes it great. Now we don't need the blur keyboard for multi-touch. :D

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Yes that's what makes it great. Now we don't need the blur keyboard for multi-touch. :D

Yee haha fosho. Aite time to try this thing out, just made a backup. DX FTW, we don't need no Nexus S even with that sexy body. (Woops!)

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
GUYS! Just finish installing it. Right when I get onto it, it says Android keyboard has stopped unexpectedly, force close. Anyone know why? I wanna try it out D:

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Ahhh, couldn't get it to work on the DX. Something funkys going on. Thank the lord for backups.

Abe21599
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
maybe change the permissions?

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
maybe change the permissions?

Nah, it's okay I already restored backup. Btw, how wold you change permissions though o.O go into superuser app?

Abe21599
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
i use root explorer to change permissions. adb can do it too

KDLMaj
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Installed it, but it's all mini (I'm one of the lucky ones!). I use swype though- so I don't really care enough to do my backup. Plus the text suggestion isn't working- so meh. But still- good to see they are already working on porting pieces of 2.3 to our Xs ;)

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Hmm,did you have force close issues? I did

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
i use root explorer to change permissions. adb can do it too
Root explorer is expensive>:(. ill think about it. Is it really necessary to update to newest system version tomorrow?

beavs17
12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I got it installed okay...but damn its tiny. Would be great if i was six maybe.

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:50 PM
No like did it work the first time you tried? Haha is the keyboard accurate though?

papibone5
12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Can some one post a stock apk because I did the new keyboard and for got to make a backup and the new keyboard is too too small. I will gladly appreciate if some can give me the Stock apk.

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Can some one post a stock apk because I did the new keyboard and for got to make a backup and the new keyboard is too too small. I will gladly appreciate if some can give me the Stock apk.

Ai yahh....the instructions told you to make a backup like three times and in capital letters too.....

jawonder
12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I tried it on my droid x it's too tiny it's about half the size of the regular keyboard they have to do some resizing for droid x . Anyone have the link for the stock froyo 2.2 keyboard for droid x ?. I wanna put back the stock keyboard even tho i use swift .

papibone5
12-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I installed this earlier today before they reupdated the post on Droid life. When it was first post it didn't have make up and what's not but if pols stardted having problems that's when they updated they post again

royolpunk
12-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I tried it on my droid x it's too tiny it's about half the size of the regular keyboard they have to do some resizing for droid x . Anyone have the link for the stock froyo 2.2 keyboard for droid x ?. I wanna put back the stock keyboard even tho i use swift .

Search it up on xda or google,im sure its somewhere

1KDS
12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
xda is down currently

wicked
12-06-2010, 08:49 PM

try looking here http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

Breakthecycle2
12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I installed it through Clockwork and it's not there for some reason. Any idea why? It says it installed fine.

joeyjackpot
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
unless it's a swype upgrade, i don't care

TreyStyles
12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Force closes...no bueno.

Restoring backup now. Looks pretty cool though.

hobby31
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I got it installed yesterday. I actually extracted the zip file and located the .apk and .so file and copy and pasted them into the appropriate folders in the system. Changed permissions to match the files that where there, Oh, first I changed the names of the existing files to .bak. All this with root explorer. Then rebooted and it works fine but is EXTREMELY tiny for me. I too use swype as my main keyboard so no big deal.

ToddP0530
12-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Sorry for being such a noob, but what does this mean
*Note* – DX users, “In Clockwork, go to mounts and storage>mount system and then back to install .zip from sd card”.
I've tried adding this keyboard and can't. I'm trying to reboot into clockwork, but the yellow bar on the screen with the triangle goes about a third of the way and stops then the phone reboots. Any suggestions?

psychotic_penguin
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Bah....way too small like everyone mentioned....stuck with stock for now Swype doesn't work on UD

1KDS
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Sorry for being such a noob, but what does this mean
I've tried adding this keyboard and can't. I'm trying to reboot into clockwork, but the yellow bar on the screen with the triangle goes about a third of the way and stops then the phone reboots. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're booting into recovery, not clockwork. Do you have the bootstrap app? Click bootstrap recovery then reboot recovery, load the keyboard after a nandroid backup. I've yet to read about anyone that actually like the new keyboard though.

ToddP0530
12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Yes ... just got it. I got it figured out ... now whenever I activate the andorid keyboard it forcecloses on me. Not sure if I have a bad file or I did something wrong.

Jaeson23
12-08-2010, 05:10 PM
tried both methods. 1) With just the .apk and using Astro, no Bueno! 2) Used Bootstrapper recovery worked but just need a magnifying glass to use it, lol.

I use swype also so no biggie.

FYI** ALWAYS MAKE A BACK-UP FIRST **

tugeagon
12-09-2010, 05:49 AM
so i did it and its its mini.. on rooted DX running rubix focused 0.3... but worry not for i use swype anyway...

iheartrevenge
12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm very confused but I know somebody here can help. You guys have always been good to me. So here goes:

Instructions:
*MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! (With what app? Clockwork... ?)
*Should work on ALL rooted 2.2 Android devices. (I'm rooted.)
*Droid X and 2 users, see note after instructions. (Some DX users are seeing miniature versions. Again, MAKE A BACKUP.)
*Won’t work on 2.1. You need the newest Voice Search app from the market. (2.2 so no prob)
*Auto-correct is not working properly. (I've got the .zip that does work)
*Good idea to make a back up of your LatinIME.apk from your /system/app folder in case something goes wrong. (Did that)

1. Download .zip file HERE (Did that)
2. Place on root of SD Card and boot into Recovery. (Did that as well)
3. Install .zip as you would themes etc. (This is where I get lost. I've never installed a theme. So what app should I use?)
4. Reboot and select “Android Keyboard” under Input Method and you are good to go.
*Note* – DX users, “In Clockwork, go to mounts and storage>mount system and then back to install .zip from sd card”. (Again, which app or screen?)

I've seen an actual tutorial and the reboot screen said Clockwork Mod Recovery or something like that. When I reboot it has the standard Droid X reboot.

Any help is very much appreciated.

eljoker
12-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Your missing koushs bootstrap. The way I did it was I downloaded the keyboard from clock work then went to bootstrap and went threw recovery via that app. I went to apply update. Zip and looked threw the files for it once in the acutall recovery.
I'm very confused but I know somebody here can help. You guys have always been good to me. So here goes:

Instructions:
*MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! (With what app? Clockwork... ?)
*Should work on ALL rooted 2.2 Android devices. (I'm rooted.)
*Won’t work on 2.1. You need the newest Voice Search app from the market. (2.2 so no prob)
*Auto-correct is not working properly. (I've got the .zip that does work)
*Good idea to make a back up of your LatinIME.apk from your /system/app folder in case something goes wrong. (Did that)

1. Download .zip file HERE (Did that)
2. Place on root of SD Card and boot into Recovery. (Did that as well)
3. Install .zip as you would themes etc. (This is where I get lost. I've never installed a theme. So what app should I use?)
*Note* – DX users, “In Clockwork, go to mounts and storage>mount system and then back to install .zip from sd card”. (Again, which app or screen?)

I've seen an actual tutorial and the reboot screen said Clockwork Mod Recovery or something like that. When I reboot it has the standard Droid X reboot.

Any help is very much appreciated.

eljoker
12-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Search in the markert for lcd density app for rooted users. Then launch the app and what you do is you start at 300 hit reboot then run the all again this time for 280 then restart then do 260 then do 240 and that fixes the sizing issue.
tried both methods. 1) With just the .apk and using Astro, no Bueno! 2) Used Bootstrapper recovery worked but just need a magnifying glass to use it, lol.

I use swype also so no biggie.

FYI** ALWAYS MAKE A BACK-UP FIRST **

iheartrevenge
12-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Ohhh. I just bought Bootstrap today. I didn't know what to do with it though. So when you say download from Clockwork how do I go about doing that. And do you mean Clockwork ROM Manager or another app. Thanks for your quick reply too.

X-tac23
12-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Why is mine so small. http://184.72.239.143/mu/aefd772a-4df2-c58a.jpg

eljoker
12-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Thats what she said.......lol jk
Look at my post above, that will fix why your keyboard is so small.
Why is mine so small. http://184.72.239.143/mu/aefd772a-4df2-c58a.jpg

jriv21
12-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Search in the markert for lcd density app for rooted users. Then launch the app and what you do is you start at 300 hit reboot then run the all again this time for 280 then restart then do 260 then do 240 and that fixes the sizing issue.

^^ This is the ticket. Few quick clicks and the keyboard looks great on my DX. Thanks eljoker!

psychotic_penguin
12-11-2010, 03:14 AM
I was testing out Ultimate Droid this week, which doesn't include Swype, so I tried this out of necessity, at least it's multitouch. If you follow the instructions as posted and mount your system prior to installing it works just fine no need to install the density app from the Market

khsolx
12-11-2010, 05:31 AM
I was testing out Ultimate Droid this week, which doesn't include Swype, so I tried this out of necessity, at least it's multitouch. If you follow the instructions as posted and mount your system prior to installing it works just fine no need to install the density app from the Market

how do you mount your system?it just changes from "mount" to "unmount" so should it be reading "unmount" before the install?

X-tac23
12-11-2010, 05:43 AM
how do you mount your system?it just changes from "mount" to "unmount" so should it be reading "unmount" before the install?

That is what you should see your doing it right. After that just push the power button to go to the main menu and install the .zip file.

khsolx
12-12-2010, 04:27 AM
That is what you should see your doing it right. After that just push the power button to go to the main menu and install the .zip file.

okay well i did that before installing the keyboard and didnt work out...keyboard was tiny!so i used the lcd density app and fixed the issue :)