PDA

View Full Version : Google releases Gingerbread

JohnDroid
12-06-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3pdWBlZ34

Google has made an official post on the blog (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/) confirming Gingerbread which will slot in at version 2.3. You can download the SDK/NDK already at the following URL: Gingerbread SDK/NDK (http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/12/android-23-platform-and-updated-sdk.html). Google is touting Gingerbread as the fastest version of Android yet and also lists the following improvements and refinements:

User Interface Refinements
NFC Support (Near-Field Communications)
New Keyboard & Text Selection Tool
Internet (VoIP/SIP) Calling
Improved Copy/Paste Functionality
Gyroscope Sensor Support

For the complete list of highlights and more information, check out the following link: Gingerbread/Android 2.3 release (http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3-highlights.html).

jloya
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
New Keyboard & Text Selection Tool ...
... 0.o blind type?!?!

Dirty
12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
So forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does this mean I can upgrade my phone (Droid X) to 2.3?

jloya
12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
So forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does this mean I can upgrade my phone (Droid X) to 2.3?

negative

goldsmitht
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Then what's the sense of announcing that GINGERBREAD has been released on the DROID X Forum if we DROID X users can't use it? Would seem to be the same as announcing an upgrade to the Iphone, in my opinion

skennelly
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I agree with goldsmitht, but I would bet if your rooted they'll find a way to get it to you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

jloya
12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
welll its just to show that know that gingerbread has this sort of a release its only a matter of time before its avail for the X

KDLMaj
12-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Not necessarily. We may never see 2.3 for the Droid X. There's no guarantee that they'll update old systems, and who knows when it would be even if they did? Our best bet is to pray our code ninjas/monkeys can find some way to port it over to our phones, but with the kernal lock it's not likely. Drod seems to think they can use some of the code though and port it onto custom ROMs- which will be neat depending on what they can bring over.

Droid-Xer
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes there are certain elements that devs will be able to pull from 2.3, but we will probably never see an officail OTA update. Although I think VZW did update the original Droid to 2.2 even though it reached end of life cycle. Shrug..Who knows.

goliath602
12-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Woohoo 6 more months til its released for the DX!!

Droid-Xer
12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Ha, probably never!

goliath602
12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I hope that's not true. We have the top of the line android phone that's only about half a year old. It would be foolish of them to never release it for the X.

Droid-Xer
12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Ya but with 4g coming out, plus iFanatics creaming themselves for the iPhone on VZW, and the new line of Samsung phones...it just doesn't look good for the X.

goliath602
12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Ya but with 4g coming out, plus iFanatics creaming themselves for the iPhone on VZW, and the new line of Samsung phones...it just doesn't look good for the X. yeah that's a good point. I honestly wouldn't get either the ifail or a Samsung phone with its gay touchwiz UI. Blur>Touchwiz. I guess only time will tell if its gonna come out for the X. Im still gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Droid-Xer
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Ya hopefully. The original Droid had a good life span so here's to hoping Motorola keeps its marquee phone up to date.

KDLMaj
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
yeah that's a good point. I honestly wouldn't get either the ifail or a Samsung phone with its gay touchwiz UI. Blur>Touchwiz. I guess only time will tell if its gonna come out for the X. Im still gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Can we please find ways to express ourselves without resorting to homophobic slurs?

Thanks.

goliath602
12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Last time I checked I live in the United States of America, and I can express myself however I choose to.

Droid-Xer
12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
By gay I think he meant happy as in bright display of the Samsung phones. On a side note, the samsungs are definetly girl phones.

goliath602
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
By gay I think he meant happy as in bright display of the Samsung phones. On a side note, the samsungs are definetly girl phones.

Lmao :D. And yes I agree with you on that.

mikeinrichmond
12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Can we please find ways to express ourselves without resorting to homophobic slurs?

Thanks.

Can we please find ways to not be so expression-phobic? Censorship leads to tyranny, just ask any citizen of China, and this is why we have the First Amendment.

Also, deriding someone as being fearful of homosexuals, when you have no idea of whom you are speaking, is libelous. If you have a problem with a word someone uses, talk about the word, not about someone's character. JMHO.

TreyStyles
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Last time I checked I live in the United States of America, and I can express myself however I choose to.

It's true. I just checked internet and it says that if you live in America you have the "Freedom of Speech" and it is protected by something called the "First Amendment to the US Constitution". It didn't say anything about being protected KDLMaj.

Anyway, I really hope to get this thread back on track by saying that I would be totally gay with excitement if the DX can get Gingerbread. I know the lifespan of smartphones is only a year or less, but c'mon. The DX is the flagship!

Bungle
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
picture says it all.

edit: WHY SO SMALL

12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm waiting for the DX to get 2.3 and I won't give up hope. I agree, the DX is the flagship phone for Moto and would be silly not to push 2.3 to it.

And as for goliath602's remarks, he wasn't being homophobic. Samsung's new UI really is homosexual. It likes dudes. And that's ok.

SVDroidDude
12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Honeycomb will be out on some phones before we see Gingerbread. Once they announce it will be coming to the X....wait about 3 months.

joeyjackpot
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
*ahem* Using the word "gay" as a synonym, substitute, or stand-in for anything whose contextual definition is derogatory (ie, stupid, bad, undesirable, girly) is homophobic...

And hate speech is not protected by the first amendment...

Defending your right to casually debase things by calling them "gay" is just so beyond ignorant. You can spice up the language in your defense all you want - you won't sound any more intelligent.

Case in point: the word is problematic. It has too many definitions to be used clearly in the context of this or any modern milieu. Just use a different word and cut the crap.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not sure what google is doing. They seem to be announcing and developing two entirely different OSs simultaneously - one for low end and one for high end devices.

I suspect this will lead to even more fragmentation on the android experience and I can't possibly understand what they're thinking. From my perspective, either it's a top tier OS or it's not. We don't need android "dummy" phones. This would be like itunes releasing iOS 4.1 and iOS 5 at the same time... oh but they dont have that problem cause they only have one model.

itzzeal
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
now this thread is gay

joeyjackpot
12-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Got you to stop lurking!

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Damn lurkers! HAHA jk

wicked
12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
[/URL][URL="http://pawsru.org/m/src/m21236_trolling.jpg"]http://pawsru.org/m/src/m21236_trolling.jpg (http://rlv.zcache.com/i_love_lurker_tshirt-p235804057165544318qjmb_400.jpg)

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Hahaha...disturbing, but funny!

mikeinrichmond
12-08-2010, 06:01 AM
:lol2:
http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/mikeinrichmond/1210757059404jpgroflposterscommyspace.jpg

Reaver74
12-08-2010, 06:50 AM
And hate speech is not protected by the first amendment...

Actually, it is. Last I checked you cannot be jailed for using "hate speech". Defining what hate speech is and under what context it becomes "hate speech" is rather difficult at best. When judges and lawyers determine what you can and cannot say based on what they feel has hateful connotations, we've failed as a society. The right to free speech is guaranteed. The right to not be offended by it is not.

Anyway...I agree with you on the fragmentation of Android. Now we will not only have multiple "visions" of Android (Blur, Sense, blah, blah, blah...), but multiple versions of Android as well (Froyo for most, Gingerbread for some, Honeycomb for a few). Too many phones with different capabilities and different interfaces is a recipe for disaster. Either Android will have to cater to the lowest common denominator (the weakest phone) or flat-out pass the older phones by. With product life cycles becoming shorter and shorter, the latter options seems to be the only viable one. From a marketing and manufacturing standpoint, love 'em or hate 'em, Apple has the right idea. They can optimize the operating system to the hilt because they know exactly what every phone has. That's why they fight so hard against jailbreaking...those are the phones that will cause problems down the line.

I fear that with the current marketing model, Android will eat itself before long.

renthorin
12-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I would think that all androids of the same 'system' that is 3g or 4g would all be available for any update right? Is the X something that runs a special version of android or can any 'android' phone swap os's? I'm not really sure how that all works.

I hope they don't forget about us. I came from the DARE and LG quickly turned their back on that little guy. :(

Oh, both my boyfriend Cody and I have X's and neither of us consider the use of 'gay' in this thread offensive.

Will

Reaver74
12-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I would think that all androids of the same 'system' that is 3g or 4g would all be available for any update right? Is the X something that runs a special version of android or can any 'android' phone swap os's? I'm not really sure how that all works.

I hope they don't forget about us. I came from the DARE and LG quickly turned their back on that little guy. :(

Oh, both my boyfriend Cody and I have X's and neither of us consider the use of 'gay' in this thread offensive.

Will

The X runs Motorola's own flavor of Android, generally referred to as "Blur", much like HTC's "Sense". Unfortunately we can't just drop Gingerbread onto our phone directly due to the locked bootloader. We have to wait for Moto to take the Gingerbread raw code, add Blur to it, optimize it for use on the X, and then push the update to us. The bad news is it took a long time for Moto to do this with Froyo (2.2), and it may not happen at all with Gingerbread. We're at Moto's mercy.

renthorin
12-08-2010, 07:56 AM
The X runs Motorola's own flavor of Android, generally referred to as "Blur".

I learn something new every day :)

Droid-Xer
12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Yes, this is why odds are against us in getting gingerbread, money. To update the os might not be worth it for Motorola if they're going to drop a new super duper smarthphone in the next 6 months.

joeyjackpot
12-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I really think that GOOGLE will push 2.3 on all EOL devices (since this will likely be the last incarnation with Sense, Blur, etc and our phones are designed to function with blur) and then if they are really stripping 3rd party UIs for Honeycomb, it will be for the shiney new toys.

Either way, I'm ****ing stoked to have had this awesome phone for as long as I've had it. I love it. I forget that sometimes when I get angry at motorola.

Reaver74
12-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I really think that GOOGLE will push 2.3 on all EOL devices (since this will likely be the last incarnation with Sense, Blur, etc and our phones are designed to function with blur) and then if they are really stripping 3rd party UIs for Honeycomb, it will be for the shiney new toys.

Either way, I'm ****ing stoked to have had this awesome phone for as long as I've had it. I love it. I forget that sometimes when I get angry at motorola.

You're probably right. It seems like Gingerbread is already being overshadowed by Honeycomb, which is probably going to be launching point for the next generation of smart phones. Gingerbread will probably be the last hurrah for the X, unfortunately, but I think I will be happy with the X for a good long time. It really is a fantastic device, warts and all.

Roca1202
12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Can't wait for HoneyComb!

StacyKR92
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
My DX had the 2.3 update pushed to it when I woke up this morning. Updated successfully.

mahagam3r
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM
so people are saying that the Droid X wont get gingerbread... im skeptical myself, but why can people who have the Droid 1 have OTA 2.2? that phone is a year old and it has the most recent updates. Droid x is barely 6 months old... just my thoughts.

joeyjackpot
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
People are speculating both ways about DX getting 2.3 .the dawn of 4G is making these last generation 3G smartphones expire soon. Sure they're wonderful and were top of the line but top of the line is going to look very different in another 6 months.

SVDroidDude
12-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Now this is unofficial but I do agree with their reasoning why the X (and others on the list) will get Gingerbread. This will be the last major upgrade we get though.

'Will my phone get Gingerbread?' Here's our official unofficial upgrade list | Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/will-my-phone-get-gingerbread)

Truth be told, MOST X owners (or any Android owner) don't even know what Gingerbread (or Froyo for that matter) is.

joeyjackpot
12-14-2010, 12:02 PM
we'll get Gingerbread, I'm fairly confident about that. I would wager money we won't see honeycomb... but by then i won't give a f-ck about the X because i'll want some beautiful new LTE monster of a device.

Droid-Xer
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
+1 Joey, 4g time baby!!

joeyjackpot
12-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Once it's obviously time to leave the X we should all jump onto the same device... haha.

just lou
12-15-2010, 06:24 AM
For those feeling brave, MobileTopSoft has a Gingerbread ROM for the Droid X.

Motorola DROID X Gets Unofficial Gingergbread ROM - MobileTopSoft. (http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/8638/motorola-droid-x-gets-unofficial-gingergbread-rom.html)

mikeinrichmond
12-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Yea, maybe motorola will make an X2, 4.5inch screen 2ghz processor and 32gb built in memory running honeycomb on LTE. I can dream can't I? Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

X-tac23
12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Yea, maybe motorola will make an X2, 4.5inch screen 2ghz processor and 32gb built in memory running honeycomb on LTE. I can dream can't I? Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Great dream.

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 07:58 AM
That seems pretty likely actually. Motorola can't take a step back from the X and just putting an X out with 4g capabilities wont be enough. I think screen size will stay at 4.3 inches, but a dual core processor and bigger on board memory is very likely.

droid'n4fun
12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Hello all...
I hope you'll forgive a newb question, (I am a very recent convert from the iPhone 4), but do I understand that the update that occurred a couple of nights ago was not in fact Gingerbread?

I see now that my SYSTEM version is 2.3.340, but my ANDROID version is still 2.2.1

I'd hoped that software updates would be available to all Android phones across the system just like my iPhone's were.

Just wishful thinking I guess.

Ok... my NEWBNESS is really showing. There is a big sticky on the front page about this. Thanks for not flaming me immediately.

Molly House
12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
we'll get Gingerbread, I'm fairly confident about that. I would wager money we won't see honeycomb... but by then i won't give a f-ck about the X because i'll want some beautiful new LTE monster of a device.

Pretty safe bet seeing as it's probably going to be a tablet specific version...

I think It shows google taking good steps to remedy the fragmentation issue by implementing a tiered versioning system.

Aka. 2.3 requires 1ghz meaning high end, when you see something designed for 2.3 but have a entry or mid class droid you'll know not to download it, also seeing 3.0 would indicated it was designed for tablet droids. still giving a lot of freedom in the market while trying to cut down on interoperability issues.

jrussell9109
12-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I feel left behind! as I am just now getting a DX next week. Oh well when then 4g's come out I guess I can go ahead and say screw it and pay full price for it since my two year ended last week and I'm getting the DX.

Kingfshr
12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Please remove this post. I made a mistake. Sorry...

Grim
12-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Hello,

New to the form and forgive me for any mistakes. Love my Droid x and the 2.2.1 update. I use my X for everything when I am away from my office. The 2.2.1 update cleared up some issues I had and looking forward to the 2.3 update (if we get it). Which forums should I read to keep update?

Thanks,

Grim

Beholder88
12-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Here are a couple of things to mull over.
Verizon launched 4G LTE only in major metropolitan areas and large airports. The only devices that they currently offer to take advantage of 4G are the aircards (for mobile broadband only), of which there are currently only two.
The Droid X, as well as 99.9% of the rest of the devices Verizon offers, are(were) made to take advantage of the current 3G system.
Updating the operating system alone is not going to make the phone able to run on the new 4G.
It's going to take quite some time before 4G is as widely available as the current 3G. I think there is a 50 -50 chance that we will get 2.3 for the X, depending on how long it really takes VZW to upgrade the rest of their network. That being said, most of the new droid devices being developed by Motorola, and others, are going to be more geared towards the new 4G technology.
Something else - Verizon 4G requires a SIM card, and will require future phones through VZW to have a SIM card as well.
If your phone has a SIM now, you either don't have VZW, or you are using a global phone (like the Droid 2 Global).
Bottom line overview - 50 - 50 chance of getting 2.3 before Moto puts out a new 4G capable phone - maybe 50 - 50 of getting it by some other source before something better comes out anyway. This technology is moving so fast it's dizzying, so I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Maximus77
01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
There are a couple screen shots of internal Verizon Wireless documentation to its employees stating they (VZW) are working with Google to get an update out to DX users. Stay tuned for more information. So I think that is a good sign.

Here is the link.
Verizon determining which phones will get Android 2.3 | Electronista (http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/16/verizon.working.with.google.on.android.23.phones/)

mikeinrichmond
01-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the info..I love the "in the coming months" part...:p

Snow02
01-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Yeah. The thing is, they have a pretty significant upgrade draw with the new 4g phones, so a software update isn't likely to be considered a detriment to someone choosing the X over a new handset. Meaning, their not likely to delay the update a la the recent Samsung debacle.

stolle43
01-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I have faith in Motorola, I believe the DroidX will get GB! But with all the new android phones coming out from Motorola, this might be our last update, so be patient for the update. It will come when it works. I love my droid X. I am a new member of droid x forum I am excited to be apart of this community.

lolbroklol
02-24-2011, 01:20 AM
And one month later.....? I guess no one has heard any more news?

plumcrazy
02-24-2011, 04:55 AM
not true, using the word gay is getting more dangerous. lol

mikeinrichmond
02-24-2011, 04:59 AM
And one month later.....? I guess no one has heard any more news?

Unofficially, the hacking community is still working on it, they have it running on the X, but working on getting everything to function correctly.

Officially, no word from Verizon or Motorola when/if we will be receiving an OTA update to Gingerbread..

gunner1982
02-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Well even if we do get gingerbread it will probly still have that crap they call blur ya know if they wanted a better fitting name for their UI the should change it to motolag lol cause compared to liberty it sucks

sent from the liberated droid army

scottpole
02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Well even if we do get gingerbread it will probly still have that crap they call blur ya know if they wanted a better fitting name for their UI the should change it to motolag lol cause compared to liberty it sucks

sent from the liberated droid army

Personally I enjoy the blur and the look and after rooting and removing bloat I am running a stock rom that has gotten me better performance than just about every rom. But this is my OPINION and I believe if your going to trash someones work atleast have the decency to say "in my opinion."
Sorry for the rant lol

Uploaded from my Blurry X ~_~

turdbogls
02-25-2011, 08:48 AM
agreed....the stock ROM was pretty solid after i got rid of the bloat and widgets and stuff i didn't use and got rid of the stock launcher (that was the laggiest part of Blur) the stock ROM is actually pretty amazing....it's not a bad thing when every other ROM tried to live up to the stock ROMs battery performance.

TheFandroid
02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Personally I enjoy the blur and the look and after rooting and removing bloat I am running a stock rom that has gotten me better performance than just about every rom. But this is my OPINION and I believe if your going to trash someones work atleast have the decency to say "in my opinion."
Sorry for the rant lol

Uploaded from my Blurry X ~_~

No I agree with you, I am just a little more partial to ApeX 1.3, but to be honest the stock ROM, once all of the bloat was removed and I tinkered around with the CPU was just as good. I must say though that on ApeX my battery life, even at 1.3GHz on LV is AMAZING. That is the only real difference.