PDA

View Full Version : ROMs, Themes, Etc

Karem
12-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Okay, I'm thinking about trying a few ROMs or themes but want to make sure I understand this first.

If I use something like the ApeX 1.0.2.2 ROM, is it possible to change certain aspects of that particular ROM that I don't like? Or is a "ROM" unchangeable and you just use it as it is basically? For example, I know the ApeX one uses ADW but I'd like to use LPP instead...do I just go about uninstalling it and installing LPP normally? And can I just freeze apps that I don't want with Titanium Backup Pro as normal without worry? I want to use PowerAMP and not the stock music player that ApeX has...can I just go about normally with this (aka freezing the stock music and installing PowerAMP)?

I know this sounds stupid but I was confused since the YouTube video of the ApeX ROM shows him using scripts to change apps like the camera (he goes into Terminal Emulator and uses a script to change from one type of camera to the other). It gave me the impression that I couldn't just freeze the camera as I would normally and install one that I wanted. Or is the intent of those scripts something entirely different that I'm missing?

I hope all this makes sense... :confused: I want to be able to customize ROMs to my liking if that's possible and am wondering if I need to take different steps in doing so while using a ROM.

cruckus
12-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Depends on the rom on how to go about installing and "customizing" roms. In the terminal like you saw in the video that's just scripts he put in to make it simple I think but you should be able to install lpp and use it as your main launcher on any rom

secretformula
12-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes you can just install LPP over ADW. The scripts are used to do 1 of 2 things. Either disable or enable apps completly. (calc -rm) or switch between the Apex and Blur apps. You can freeze them with titanium if you want to also. Apex rom is a great base for customization as its fast, has better memory management, and builtin ad-blocking.

1KDS
12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
LPP, yes freeze or delete adw AFTER you have you have LPP installed, ADW is likely the stock launcher so you need a replacement before deleting or freezing
Blur camera can be flashed onto a ROM by installing the zip from cw recovery, here's the file (http://www.sephtin.com/rubiX/DX_Camera(BlurCameraFromFission).zip)
Use poweramp just like you would on the stock ROM, not sure if you can delete the player that comes with the ROM

Karem
12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies, answered everything I was wondering about! :)