PDA

View Full Version : Excuse my newb-ness, but I have some questions about modding

the stig
12-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone,

First off, I would like to say that I'm not being ignorant here by asking these questions, just have some legitimate concerns. I would also like to say that I have the utmost respect for those who come up with the strategies to let all of us mod our phones. Now, onto my questions.

I guess I'll start by letting everyone know what I want to do, and then I'll talk more about my questions concerning it.

What I want to do with my X (yes I'm rooted) is simply change the white notification bar at the top of the screen to black, and have the text be white. Yes, I have read through the thread on this same page about the black notification bar, but when reading it it sounded like the user had his fair share of issues when trying to get it the way he wanted it. This scares me, because I'm not some software/programming guru. Yes, I know my way around technology and am an engineering student, but am not in software engineering so have never had a programming class.

Are the necessary steps to do what I want to do (black notification bar) really all that difficult, or does it seem more complicated reading it than actually doing it? I don't want to run into problems where I'm stuck at a boot loop or can't get the phone to function, and so I'm pondering what all I'll have to do in order to get my notification bar the way I want it.

If this is not as difficult as I am making myself think it is, can someone give me some simple steps to take in order to make this happen? I appreciate your input.

Again, I'm not being ignorant by not doing my research here on the threads, it's just that I don't fully understand all the jargon being thrown around. Input is appreciated guys, thanks!

joeyjackpot
12-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I honestly have no idea about how to go about this, but I must say this is the best "newbie" post I've seen in a while! welcome, and I'm sure someone will be able to help!

Droid-Xer
12-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Download the black bar of your choice and then use ninjamorph to swap out the icons for white icons. I will be writing up a how to on using ninjamorph as this is my preferred way tochange the notification bar icons.

joeyjackpot
12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
will that also change the notification text/clock to white?

C Dippa
12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
You need to be rooted and deodexed first.

After that, download Rom Manager and Droid X Bootstrapper, if you don't have them. Create a backup first if you want to be safe. You download the black bar via Rom Manager called Blackmodz Returns by Onix Concepts. From bootstrapper, click bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery. Select install zip from sd card. Find the blackmodz zip in clockworkmod>downloads. Install and enjoy the black bar goodness.

Feel free to ask questions if you don't understand these steps.

Edit to add: This method does include white text and icons as long as you are deodexed first.

the stig
12-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Question: Is it easier to deodex the phone using this method, the manual deodex (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-themes/4620-how-manually-deodex-your-phone.html) or is it easier to use 928Droid's method (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/8269-new-easy-deodex-odex-our-own-928droid.html) ?

Just wondering. Thanks.

jmiller148
12-02-2010, 03:14 PM
You can pick up the files already deodexed from TBH (The Blackhat Team). There are a couple of other system apk files that you may want to edit to see the icons better. pm me and I will give you a bit better idea of what I did via email. Hate to say it I just type better on a full keyboard. I have done it both the hard and the easy way.

Droid-Xer
12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Use 928 deodexer. Install a zip and done.

wicked
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Use 928 deodexer. Install a zip and done.

This.

C Dippa
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
In case you are wondering, the Blackmodz bar looks like this:

1KDS
12-02-2010, 05:56 PM
What they said. You need an avatar with a screen name like that, this one for example:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAH1FQBnjWaha6ZyfcfShEMA0MktodG ph38EHNnIDpt9mRnB-K

the stig
12-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Alright guys, thanks for your help! I bought Koush's bootstrap app and ran the bootstrap on what I was with, then rebooted in recovery. I used 928Droid's method of deodex'ing (I didn't care for the theme), and installed it onto the phone. Then downloaded ROM manager and installed the Onix black bar and all is good!

Now, a few closing questions: If I want to use a different theme on ROM manager, is it as simple as downloading it, then applying it from recovery mode? Also, how will I go about creating a back up of my phone the way it is now incase something ****s up? And lastly, if I want to go back to my phone the way it was with my white notification bar, how will I go about doing that?

Thank you all for your help and responses. It's you seasoned 'vets that help us noobs out when it comes to this. I appreciate you dealing with my questions, thank you!

1KDS
12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
I don't use RM, so I can't help you there.
Use bootstrap to make a nandroid backup, click bootstrap recovery, it will say success, then reboot recovery. The phone will then boot into recovery, select backup/restore ->backup, same place to restore a previous backup. See RoOoLeR's thread on ROOT/ROM/Backup stickied in the hacks section

edit: use volume buttons to navigate in recovery and camera to select

Droid-Xer
12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Alright guys, thanks for your help! I bought Koush's bootstrap app and ran the bootstrap on what I was with, then rebooted in recovery. I used 928Droid's method of deodex'ing (I didn't care for the theme), and installed it onto the phone. Then downloaded ROM manager and installed the Onix black bar and all is good!

Now, a few closing questions: If I want to use a different theme on ROM manager, is it as simple as downloading it, then applying it from recovery mode? Also, how will I go about creating a back up of my phone the way it is now incase something ****s up? And lastly, if I want to go back to my phone the way it was with my white notification bar, how will I go about doing that?

Thank you all for your help and responses. It's you seasoned 'vets that help us noobs out when it comes to this. I appreciate you dealing with my questions, thank you!

For backup, reboot into clockwork recovery using droid x bootstrap, go to backup/restore, click backup.
Return to stock, use 928 back to stock zip file.
Other themes, just wipe data/cache and install another zip.
I would use the back to stock by 928 before doing any other theme, that way you will go back to complete stock and make a backup of that.

C Dippa
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Be careful with ROM manager. I have seen people have issues with it. It is usually best to download roms from the rom thread and follow the devs instructions.

I suggested it for this because I know this works, but I wouldn't try to load ROMs using that app unless you see it in the instructions.

Factory reset will get rid of it, I'm pretty sure...if not, sbf. You will lose it if you install a rom, but you can just reinstall over it.

Sent from my DROIDX

the stig
12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Dippa,

If I go an download the ROM then place it on root of the SD card and that new ROM is deodex'd, is it safe for me to go and delete the 928 deodex'd ROM and Black Onix ROM from the SD card?

wicked
12-02-2010, 07:17 PM
You can delete those zip files from your SD card. Once installed/uninstalled it doesnt matter anymore.
So yeah it's safe to get rid of them.

C Dippa
12-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Well, you can safely delete them and it won't affect anything, but they might come in handy in the future. Almost every rom has the stock gray bar, so I usually have to reinstall the black bar over it when I load a new ROM. I can't guarantee this works with every rom, but it has worked on every one I've tried so far.

Loading a deodexed ROM is a shortcut to being deodexed though, so you could install the bar over a deodexed rom without needing to re-deodex.

Sent from my DROIDX