PDA

View Full Version : Auto Killer /cry

daankdroid
11-30-2010, 01:01 PM
So, I want the best performance - I want my RAM to be awesome all the time. I downloaded minfree but when i try to change the settings it says failed. I am rooted, that's not the problem i a also installing it onto the internal memory. This is also happening with AutoKiller - it doesn't say "fail" but it does not save the preferences I have them at and asks me everytime i load it up "yo, you havent set a preference, would ou liek yo now?"

Any help?

Backnblack
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
It's an un-needed app. Uninstall it and allow the OS to do it's job.

joeyjackpot
11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Auto killers are frowned upon here and in the general android community... so you'll have a hard time finding "optimal" settings from users on here since most of our "optimal" settings for task killers are "Uninstalled"... if you don't want a program running, freeze/rename it (with root). your RAM is only "awesome" if it's used... it's SUPPOSED to be used... micro managing your ram so it's all free is like buying a 62oz soda and only filling it to 2oz every time you want more soda... it's more work and less efficient than letting your ram be used as it's meant to be...

daankdroid
11-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, I have heard such good things about minFree and AutoKiller - but I have had more luck listening to the help on the forums, app uninstalled before I got done finishing this post. thanks guys

joeyjackpot
11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
You'll hear a lot of great things from casual users that don't understand the way their phone works or is supposed to work... they click a button and see a bunch of programs they didn't open get closed... and they feel pleased and accomplished by that... but they don't sit on the screen long enough to watch the OS restart every one of them within minutes... wasting battery and memory to open/close/open/close/open/close the same programs all day long... this isn't windows... throw your ideas about windows out the window (ha.) when thinking about your android OS.

daankdroid
11-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Thats why I love this site, you guys are so imformative. Im getting 1755 quadrant scores...things are working great. I didn't realize how diverse this operating system was and i didn't know the os changes were so broad. Four days into my dx...I'm learning! :) thanks guys

Maryland_Shooter
12-01-2010, 08:27 AM
It's an un-needed app. Uninstall it and allow the OS to do it's job.

OK, I will follow that advice; however is there an explanation as to why apps open? I am guessing they eat memory and battery.

Say I open an app that isn't opened by the OS Driod Light for example. When I close it, the app still is running in the background.

Obviously, this runs contrary to my thoughts, which are: when I cloe an app, I expect it to close in a manner that does "garbage collection" and reclaims the memory.

I have done some development in what I expect will be the target of much distain around here - Windoze. VB, and some other languages. I'd always close the app on exit - yeah KILL IT, so as not to leave a bunch of memory leaks . . . .

So where can I get an explanation as to the Droid theory of app development and some insight on the bigger picture?

BTW - nice sig lines. You may guess by my handle, we share some common interests.

I am considering rooting my phone, removing the crappy bloatware and maybe, just maybe doing some beginner type development.

Thanks in advance

daankdroid
12-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Although new to these forums, I have found a lot of links, sources and just damn good material comes from xda-developers (http://www.xda-developers.com/) and i know for sure you'd need to go here http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and download the developer kit.

Even if those sites don't have what you are looking for, I'm damn sure you can find a link of some sort on them - a lot of members, huge forums devoted to development - so odds are its what you can use as a starting point. :)

joeyjackpot
12-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Root and freeze/rename programs you don't ever want running.

You can use task killers to stop them, BUT THEY WILL START RIGHT BACK UP AGAIN.

I don't know how many times I can say it - if you don't want the programs running in the background because you want to save battery and memory - closing them will just force the OS to reopen them within minutes - eating more battery and wasting more memory than if you just let them run or froze/renamed them.

DebianDog
12-01-2010, 09:36 AM
AUTOKILLER DOES NOT KILL APPS

It is just a poorly named app that changes how much free memory the SYSTEM keeps free. It does NOTHING but that.

Maryland_Shooter
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
AUTOKILLER DOES NOT KILL APPS

It is just a poorly named app that changes how much free memory the SYSTEM keeps free. It does NOTHING but that.

Got it, but no one has told me why, when I close Droid Light for example, it is still active in the background.

I come from a dev background where I never do that for many good reasons. When I am done with Excel, I close it programatically and it's gone.

What makes this OS (what is the OS BTW) completely different?

joeyjackpot
12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Android is the name of the OS, lol. The current version on the DX is 2.2

DebianDog
12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Got it, but no one has told me why, when I close Droid Light for example, it is still active in the background.

I come from a dev background where I never do that for many good reasons. When I am done with Excel, I close it programatically and it's gone.

What makes this OS (what is the OS BTW) completely different?

Well if you kill or exit an app it is gone but if you open app after app and leave it running or the app does not have a shutdown option it stays resident in memory. When the system get a request for a new app to run and the OS does not have the required memory to do so, it will "AutoKill" one of the dormant apps, deallocate the memory, then assign the memory to the new app you are opening.

The problem comes in when you have a lot of apps open and open a memory hog like a browser. Now the system must go kill X amount of apps to open the new program you just requested.

The "Auto Killer" app just changes the value of when the system preforms this function. I have mine set to 40 megs and I think the default is like 3. I never get any type of delay when requesting a new app to open because the system already has the memory freed with the added benefit of the OS killing the un-needed apps running just like it would do normally under a different memory load.

Maryland_Shooter
12-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I see . . . someone here sent me a link to an article, helping me understand. Just a bit hard to get adjusted after working for many years using a different protocol.

Thanks to all.