PDA

View Full Version : Question about overclocking...

daankdroid
11-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok, so my droid is overclocked 1.35, but I do not have it set to automatically put those settings on when I boot. I have been running it stable for about 40 hours, no crashes, no sluggage - my question is this...

Should I set those setting to boot?

How long before i know the DX is really stable at that clock speed?
Am I screwed if I do set the setting for boot, runs stable, something happens, DX crashes and I can't boot?
Or should I just turn on the OC speeds as I reboot the DX to totally avoid that even happening?

...just curious.

thanks.

And...I use "Droid Overclock" which is a fantastic app if you are interested in boosting your DX without being a complete hardware junkie. It also comes with an ad remover, cache cleaner(a nice one) and a set of options that automatically sets the app installation and entire DX cache to your SD card...saved me a ton of time, not to mention a CRAP ton of resources.

Abe21599
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
if you feel comfortable with it running like it is, id set it. maybe try a few of the stress tests in setCPU also.

if you set at boot and its not stable, ud need to wipe and do a restore if u can get to recovery, if not, ud need to SBF to recover.

but if you wanna play it safe, id keep setting at boot. theres even ways to add a widget to the homescreen with ASE (market) to run scripts

thewakka1
12-01-2010, 06:44 AM
I have tried a stress test with setCPU and it just runs forever so I back out and it tells how long it ran amd no errors. So how do I use the stress test and what should I do if errors are found?

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 07:16 AM
You run the stress test for several minutes maybe 15 or so. If there are errors then you need to lower the overclock speed. Or raise the voltage.

thewakka1
12-01-2010, 07:36 AM
So the test will stop on its own and show a report?

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 07:48 AM
No you have to stop it. Just run it and let it run for a good amount of time. When you stopit, it'll tell you if any errors occurred. If they did then lower the speed. Or just use the device like normal and if you get freezeups or rebooted then lower the speed.

thewakka1
12-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Also will it advise on what needs to be done weather to raise lower voltage or mhz

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 07:51 AM
No its just a gauge to measure your device. But if there errors or ifyou get reboots, chances are you need to lower the speed.

eric eakin
12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
What is a good suggested amount of time?

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 08:54 AM
If I do the stress test I do it for like 10-15 minutes. But normally I just use my phone regularly and if it reboots or freezes, I know I have to change my settings.

eric eakin
12-01-2010, 09:15 AM
thanks, never really knew how that worked, i just ran it for like one min and starred at it haha!

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Ya like I said the easiest way to check stability is to use the phone like normal. Play a video too. I found this to be a good way to check stability. I was up 1.45ghz and working fine until I played a YouTube video in HQ and the phone froze then rebooted.

eric eakin
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
So when unstable what should change first? The voltage or max frequency?

Droid-Xer
12-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Lower the frequency. Keep it at medium/stock voltage and then when stable. Try the same frequency at a lower voltage