PDA

View Full Version : Another Root question

Intimdtr77
11-27-2010, 03:01 AM
So, here they are. Only a few and I should be good (for now)

I plan on using the Z4 root method
-Titanium back up

If I root and freeze the apps, that will save battery life, right?

Secondly, if I do freeze then I will have no issues with updates to my DX, right?

Lastly, if something happens to my phone and I need to send it back to Verizon, I will have to unroot, right? Is as simple as just hitting the unroot button on Z4?

If I can not unroot for what ever reason and send it back, will the insurance I pay for through Verizon still going to caver any of the phone or am I SOL?

wicked
11-27-2010, 03:19 AM
If you freeze apps, it can/will save you battery life, really no downside to it.
Freezing apps instead of deleting then will save you a headache for future OTA updates. I suggest freezing instead of delete

I used to worry about unrooting (just in case something happens) alot but with the one click unroot methods available now helps with that paranoia. :p
Just make sure to always make backups before doing any modding on your phone, it'll save you from headaches.

DieseL
11-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Good advice from wicked408.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

smalltowngirl13
11-27-2010, 07:41 AM
In addition to what wicked and diesel offered - you can always "thaw" out those frozen apps when an update is coming - thus as wicked said, freezing is more beneficial than deleting as you then have to then persue another path to get your phone back to stock...

spodoc
11-27-2010, 08:16 AM
If I've rooted a while back, is there anything that rooting via new methods will give me that I don't have? Wicked mentioned in another thread that one of the newer methods was beleived to have up-to-date superuser and busy box. Do these things go out of date? Will apps needing root-level access in the future not work if I've rooted too long ago?

bossco
11-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Im sorry but how do you freeze a app? Ia that something you can do from your device? Thank you

Sent from my DROIDX

smalltowngirl13
11-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Im sorry but how do you freeze a app? Ia that something you can do from your device? Thank you

Sent from my DROIDX

This thread will help ya... http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html

But yes, it is from the device once rooted using Titanium Backup from the market...

Intimdtr77
12-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the advice all, I have not been around for a few days. I'm thinking I should just suck it up and try rooting.