PDA

View Full Version : Rooting Droid X???

steelers9090
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
ok so im a noob. iv read the forum and i cant seam to find out what rooting eaxctly does, mostly from what iv herd its trouble would some 1 give me some tips/help? thx

Abe21599
11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
root is administrative privileges for your DX

read some here
THIS IS WHAT ROOT MEANS (stop asking) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html)

smalltowngirl13
11-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Here is also this link...

What is rooting and why should I do it? The pros & cons of Android rooting (http://www.talkandroid.com/7686-what-is-rooting-and-why-should-i-do-it-the-pros-cons-of-android-rooting/)

Les
11-23-2010, 09:00 PM
So i am rooted and running rubix. I have backed up that rom ... But i did not back up the original before... So here is my question's. If i wanted to go back to factory like it was out of the box is it possible? If so how do i do it? I just want to start from scratch is all.

psychotic_penguin
11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
You'll have to flash the 2.1 sbf to go back

Abe21599
11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
You'll have to flash the 2.1 sbf to go back

if hes not on the 2.2 OTA. if on the over the air 2.2 from VZW, you need the 2.2 sbf

Les
11-27-2010, 08:19 PM
OK wow!!! so how do i get the 2.1 sbf and then the upgrade to the 2.2 sbf... Also does SBF stand for Standard Bloat Form? LOL just curious..

Abe21599
11-27-2010, 08:53 PM
OK wow!!! so how do i get the 2.1 sbf and then the upgrade to the 2.2 sbf... Also does SBF stand for Standard Bloat Form? LOL just curious..

are you on ota 2.2 or leaked 2.2? and here
SBF File Extension - What is SBF ? How to play / open SBF file? (http://www.downloadatoz.com/file-extensions/sbf-file-extension.html)

spodoc
11-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Usually, it's not allowed to post links in these forums. I'll tell you it's easy to get what you need. Use google to search for the SBF files that you need on a file sharing site. The SBF is a file (few hundred mb) that contains just about everything you need to flash back to a stock state. It's kind of like your rescue disk that comes with some PCs that when you run them, is supposed to bring them back to "fresh out of the box" state.

You can search for words like rootzwiki and you'll be 90% of the way there. I found them and had completely downloaded within an hour of starting to search.

As I understand, these are the following SBF files you can find:
2.1 (Full SBF)
2.2 (Full SBF - early leak: does not change bootloader from 2.1... so you can go back to 2.1 full SBF)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2 (system only SBF: used to recover 2.2 phones while waiting for full 2.2 to arrive)
2.2 (Full SBF: this file changes the bootloader and is like applying the verizon over-the-air (OTA) 2.2 update. This does most of what the 2.2 early leak did except it changes the bootloader so you can't go back to 2.1)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2.1 (system only: you can probably use this SBF to recover a phone that has been updated to 2.2.1)

The dashed lines represent a point past which you cannot go back because the bootloader has been updated.

I would reccomend spending a day reading prior to flashing SBF. Consequences of doing that is maybe a boring day. Consequences of jumping the gun like I did once and flashing the wrong SBF is a bricked phone. Lucky for me 2.2 full SBF was out in a few days after I bricked my phone a month ago.

Currently, the only brick that you can't recover from (that I'm aware of) is if you update to 2.2.1 and then try to apply any 2.1 or 2.2 SBF. Applying 2.2.1 would update the bootloader and subsequently applying an earlier SBF would cause brick. Then you'd be stuck waiting for full 2.2.1 SBF which is not out yet. Until full 2.2.1 SBF is out, we don't know if it ever will be :(

Ask questions if you are confused.

Les
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I had 2.2 OTA... But i figured if i went back to 2.1 before froyo i could ota through the phone to 2.2.. What do you think?

Les
11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Thank you for the link it helped explain what i wanted to know!!!