PDA

View Full Version : Rooted Noob. Now what?

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 03:08 PM
The only app I have downloaded so far is Adfree.

I've been reading this forum about all the apps, and frankly most of it is over my head. I just want my phone to be clean and fast.

So to that end, I need a good uninstaller and suggestions on what to get rid of. And, talk to me about OC.

Remember use small words lol jk

secretformula
11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
I recommend installing a custom ROM

1KDS
11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Before that, you should get titanium backup and freeze the unwanted/unneeded apps. Also read the hacks subforum as much as you can, great info in here, could save your ass

Droid-Xer
11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Download titanium back up, Droid x bootstrap, busybox, and jrummy overclock app. Titanium backup allows you to backup all your apps and system apps. Bootstrap allows you to create a full backup of your entire phone, which is good to do before you make any modifications. That way if you erase something you shouldn't or install an incompatible rom/theme, you can always restore your phone to before the changes. Busybox is needed for most root apps to work. The overclock app will allow you to overclock, underclock, undervolt which will speed up your phone and increase battery life.

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok, let me get thids straight.
Install:
Titanium backup
Droid x bootstrap
busybox
jrummy overclock app

What do ROMS do?

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Before that, you should get titanium backup and freeze the unwanted/unneeded apps. Also read the hacks subforum as much as you can, great info in here, could save your ass

What do you mean by freeze?

C Dippa
11-23-2010, 06:14 PM
You have over 300 posts on here...how have you not heard of freezing bloatware and ROMs yet?

Just messing with ya, but I'd do some reading up in the roms section before you start installing them. The black notification bar is always a nice start before you jump into full themes and roms.

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
11-23-2010, 06:15 PM
ROMs change the system framework. So in a way its like starting with a new phone. Some ROMs remove the Motorola blur some ROMs keep only essential blur apps. Check out the latest rubiX line of ROMs, blurry and focused. Freezing apps is done through titanium backup. It stops the program from running and removes it from the app drawer, but you can always unfreeze it if you need it later.

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I have just now started looking into tweeking my phone. I have heard of people getting rid of factory software they didn't need, but never knew it had a name other then bloatware

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Seriously, is there an updated Rooting 101 somewhere for people like myself?

C Dippa
11-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I gotcha...was just joking. Believe me, I think it's way better to get to know the phone before you start modding it, so you have a better idea of what effect the modifications have on the phone.

Ask any questions you have...and the hacks and roms sections are full of good info. Just read up on what you're trying to do.

Sent from my DROIDX

raf66
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm gonna follow this thread as I just rooted too, and now I need to know what to do. So far I've downloaded JRummy's overclock app and the SetCPU app and it certainly has sped up my phone. I also have Titanium Backup. I don't know about all that ROM stuff. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'll just sit back and try to take it all in. This sure is some interesting stuff.

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm gonna follow this thread as I just rooted too, and now I need to know what to do. So far I've downloaded JRummy's overclock app and the SetCPU app and it certainly has sped up my phone. I also have Titanium Backup. I don't know about all that ROM stuff. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'll just sit back and try to take it all in. This sure is some interesting stuff.

Do you need both Jrummy and SetCPU apps?

1KDS
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Seriously, is there an updated Rooting 101 somewhere for people like myself?

Yes sir

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/10136-rooolers-guide-root-backup-roms-2-2-ota.html

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Yes sir

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/10136-rooolers-guide-root-backup-roms-2-2-ota.html

Must admit, that post is intimidating. Makes me want to unroot.

I'll try to read it all again

1KDS
11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
You don't have to do any ROM flashing yet, get adfree, read up on oc and enjoy root for a while... then maybe flash a new ROM

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Not a bad idea. I've download the programs mentioned in this thread and the only other "rooted" app has been adfree.

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
BTW, what programs should I "Freeze"?

Or better yet, What apps have your frozen?

Abe21599
11-23-2010, 08:34 PM
BTW, what programs should I "Freeze"?

Or better yet, Whap apps have your frozen?

its what you dont want running.

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Just curious what apps you all have frozen.

smalltowngirl13
11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
This is a good thread on "freezing"...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html

gravybird
11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Just curious what apps you all have frozen.

There is a really helpful thread titled "removing the bloat" 2.2 (3 ways) . Something like that, it has a lot of suggestions and results of guys freezing stuff they shouldn't. I don't know how to direct you to it using my phone, but I'm sure if you search "bloat" it will prob be in there somewhere. Just focus on the stuff using titanium to freeze, and not the renaming stuff from apk to bak.

gravybird
11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Hah she beat me to it! Thanks smalltowngirl!

Droid-Xer
11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm running a built from source blur free rom, rubiXfocused 1.8.9. So all the unwanted blur bloat is already gone. I've frozen the stock text message app because I prefer Handcent. I froze the stock launcher because I prefer Launcher Pro Plus. I've frozen the stock music player because I use PowerAmp. I've frozen the news/weather widget and swype because these are things i dont need or use and they chew up battery. While you are still on the stock rom, I would just freeze the stuff you don't want. Be aware that some apps run off of one another so if you have a problem with one thing it might be because you froze a complimentary app. This is the advantage of freezing apps rather than completely removing them, you can always unfreeze. PM me with any other specific questions.

gravybird
11-23-2010, 09:27 PM
This is a good thread on "freezing"...

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html

Is there a way to link a thread into a post using the x forum app? I know how on the computer, just can't figure it out on here.. thanks

smalltowngirl13
11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Is there a way to link a thread into a post using the x forum app? I know how on the computer, just can't figure it out on here.. thanks

Yes - but you have to open the browser...when you navigate to the page you want, long press on the web address (search box) and it will give you a popup - select copy URL and then open up the X app and click paste in your reply...several steps I know but that is the only way I know how to do...

gravybird
11-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok, thanks! I know that was completely off topic, but I just had to ask :)

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
OK I used Titanium to freeze a bunch of programs they mentioned but they still appear with all my other apps. Do I need to restart?

Man I don't need Rooting 101, I need rooting 01

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Um, I can't download anything now.

The green arrow appear for a slit second the is gone. No download.

Just checked all my frozen apps and there is nothing that would prevent downloads.

Something with the rooting?

Abe21599
11-23-2010, 11:20 PM
list everything you froze

Cheaptoad
11-23-2010, 11:25 PM
It was everything on the list of the thread that was mentioned above

Cheaptoad
11-24-2010, 12:56 AM
I unfroze everything and now I can download (sometimes). Oh, I also disabled Chuck Norris

Droid-Xer
11-24-2010, 07:51 AM
I believe the market needs gtalk to work. Try going to settings>applications>manage applications>all tab>scroll down to the market app. Click on it do a force stop then clear data and cache. Then go to the market, you will have to sign in again then it should work fine.