PDA

View Full Version : Docking station for Droid X

johnm
11-20-2010, 11:35 AM
What do you all think of the Verizon docking station for the DX? I've read a lot of pro and con on these from other sites. It seems that people either love them or hate them. The biggest complaint seems to be the difficulty in seating and unseating the device into and out of the dock. I'm thiinking about getting one anyway, and wondered what you all thought of them.

eric eakin
11-20-2010, 11:43 AM
i have the car dock, and it is annoying to seat - esp. while driving! other than that i like it minus the case compatibility issue.

psychotic_penguin
11-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I've got one and I couldn't be happier. I use an Epik case, so taking it off and putting it back on isn't an issue, this is one thing that alot of people have mentioned is the reason they didn't care for it. Putting the X in it is no different than using the desktop charger, but can be a bit tricky, I personally have no problem with it.

It's a bit spendy but then again what OEM accessory isn't, I feel it's well made and worth every penny.

pegscraper
11-20-2010, 08:28 PM
It's a fairly nice piece but won't work with a case, which was extremely disappointing. I think the price is a serious gouge. There's just not that much to the thing. If you're interested, the home dock mode can be made to show up without any magnets or apps from the market. Then all you need to do is prop it up on something. For the money VZ gets for their dock, they can keep it.

ronjr123
11-20-2010, 09:41 PM
I travel the country and have a lot of windshield time. I use the car dock every day. I use my phone as my gps, radio and music player. I even did not renew my xm. I really like the car dock, but do not think the multimedia dock is with the money.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gtriever
11-21-2010, 04:55 AM
It's a fairly nice piece but won't work with a case, which was extremely disappointing. I think the price is a serious gouge. There's just not that much to the thing. If you're interested, the home dock mode can be made to show up without any magnets or apps from the market. Then all you need to do is prop it up on something. For the money VZ gets for their dock, they can keep it.

TIP: Don't buy the thing from Verizon or Best Buy. Instead, order it from Newegg.com - MOTOROLA 89432N Vehicle Window Suction Mount for Droid Xtreme (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875982307&cm_re=Droid_Xtreme-_-75-982-307-_-Product) . You'll save 25 bucks and it'll also include the charging cable.

Cigar_Junkie
11-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I need the home dock to charge and place the phone into "bedside" mode. The hdmi plug has proven to be a pain. The alignment kept getting worse until I crushed it trying to seat the phone. I plan on taking the dremel and cutting that plug off today to see if I can use it again. Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dbscothorn
11-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Amazon has it for even less... Amazon.com: Motorola Car Mount and Rapid Car Charger for Motorola Droid X: Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042I7AUE/ref=oss_product). I do agree with most assessments of the "ease of use", can be difficult to snap in.

johnm
11-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the tips, all. I think I'm going to skip the car mount and go with the desktop/bedside docking station. Both items are expensive. The VZW site has the docking station (or what they call the HDMI Multimedia Desktop Charger) listed at $49.99. Ridiculously expensive for what you get. Amazon has it for $36.49. Still high, but a much better price at least.

eric eakin
11-30-2010, 10:49 AM

just make one like i did :D

(magnet included)

Shinkalu
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I too use my phone in "bedside" mode as my bedroom clock / alarm.

Here's my MacGyver solution --- I use a simple small black "plate stand" ( < $1.00 at any craft store). I place the phone in landscape position, with the supplied wall charger connected and its good to go!

Not bad for $1.00 "home dock" solution....

I'll bet that $1.00 that no one has ever used the HDMI port while connected to the dock on their nightstand...

eric eakin
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I too use my phone in "bedside" mode as my bedroom clock / alarm.

Here's my MacGyver solution --- I use a simple small black "plate stand" ( < $1.00 at any craft store). I place the phone in landscape position, with the supplied wall charger connected and its good to go!

Not bad for $1.00 "home dock" solution....

I'll bet that $1.00 that no one has ever used the HDMI port while connected to the dock on their nightstand...

does it go into the home dock mode? And where are the pictures? :)

i like one dollar!