PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Wireless discounting family plans for smartphone users

JohnDroid
11-17-2010, 03:56 PM
http://img.droidforums.net/img/verizonlogo.jpg

If you have a smart phone and you also subscribe to a family plan you should be in store for some Verizon discounts soon. According to the Wall Street Journal a new promotion will start Friday and allow signups through January 7th. It will require customers to have the $29.99 per month unlimited data plan. The WSJ did not specify the discount but reported that discounts could be up to $30 off...

Hopefully we'll see a significant discount that might make the family plan a bit more affordable. We are hoping for an official announcement from Verizon and will report it as soon as we get one.

(Source: BGR (http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/17/verizon-wireless-to-discount-family-plans-for-smartphone-users/))

kb51
11-17-2010, 03:59 PM
That's great we have 3 smartphone's on are family plan

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

xpoole
11-17-2010, 05:09 PM
;)That is awesome. I love discounts!

gr8mick1
11-17-2010, 05:22 PM
I got this deal two weeks ago in the mail. 1400 shared mins unlimited text for the first two lines. Then unlimited data at 9.99 per line actually its 29.99 per with a discount 20.00 per line.

tech_head
11-17-2010, 05:31 PM
If it's like the promotion they started rolling out last week, then..

$69 for unlimited text and data and you get 450 anytime minutes.
$139 for family plan with two phones with each additional phone $20 and you get $1400 minutes plus 10 friends and family.

gr8mick1
11-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Basically it saved me forty dollars off my two lines.

jbuffethed
11-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Wonder how this will work with my military discount.

Sent from my hot tub time machine.

gr8mick1
11-17-2010, 06:59 PM
With my company discount it brought me from 163 to 113 a month

hollywood
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I get a company discount since I work for HP already... Since I have an account with them, what do I need to do to get this deal?

gr8mick1
11-17-2010, 07:29 PM
There was a flyer that got mailed to me with a number on it to get the deal

Hermes
11-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Wonder how this will work with my military discount.

Sent from my hot tub time machine.
I'm wondering too. I already get 20% off the plan and 25% off equipment as a government employee...:p

GrinReaper
11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
so how does this work ? I already have a discount for being a student at my university. I have 2 Droids on my family plan, which i started about 2 months back, so can i get discounts too ?

hollywood
11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Maybe I will get it soon then. (Crosses fingers)

noXcuse
11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Man, that's awesome. I have a family plan with 2 DX's. I could use the extra bills in my pocket right about now.

Shinkalu
11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I was among a select # of current Verizon customers to receive this offer via email about 5 days ago...

I have 4 phones on a Family Share Plan (1400 min, $89.99 for 1st 2 lines, $9.99/month for 2 addt'l lines, $30 for Unlimited Texting on ALL lines = $139.97 / month).

I just added a Droid X + Unlimited Data Plan @ $29.99 >>> new plan = $169.96

The promotion offered to me was $139.99 for 1400 min on a Family Share Plan for 1st two phones, plus a $9.99/month credit for each extra SMART PHONE LINE ($129.99 + $29.99 + $29.99 - $9.99 - $9.99 = $179.99) --- however ALL lines on the account had to have FULL DATA PACKAGES.

Two of my lines are for small kids (really don't want them to have unlimited data access), and my wife is not interested in a Smart Phone (phone / texting does the trick for her).

THEREFORE, make sure you really need DATA on ALL lines on your account, or you will end up adding features / expense that may not be utilized. Read the fine print...

Enjoy!

joeyjackpot
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
I was going to ask about that, what if it's only one smart phone on a data plan.

Basically, it's now letting you get a "family data plan" via discounts. A step in the right direction.

Just goes to show you the divide is growing... verizon is going to be offering plain old "it's a phone" phones and smartphones. 3g multimedia phones are falling by the wayside.

thatguymfc
11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
If you already into the plan now, and are paying $60 for two data plans under the family plan, you can just join in with this discount, right?

Beeray
11-18-2010, 04:28 PM
They just put me on that promotion. I saved over $80 a month

Rochelle

C Dippa
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Beeray, how did you get the promotion? Store?...by phone?

And how did it work out to save you $80 a month? Wow

Sent from my DROIDX

tech_head
11-18-2010, 05:22 PM
If you already have unlimited text on the plan AND data on at least two lines it becomes a no brainer
My old bill -> 110 (unlimited text + 1400 minutes) + 30x2 (data on two lines) + 9.99 + 9.99 = $190 and two lines have no data.
My new Bill -> 110 + 120 (4 data packages) + 9.99 + 9.99 - 80 ($20 discount for each line x 4) = $170 and all lines have data.
With my employee discount -> 110x(.81) + 30x(.80) + 90 + 20 - 80 = $143!!!

Garemlin
11-18-2010, 07:04 PM
For those of you asking about how your current discount would affect this promo it probably won't. Most employee discount programs take the discount off of the primary line only.

But I do have a question about this if anyone has inquired. Are they allowing non-smartphone lines to upgrade early or is this only for those whose contract is up during the promotion time. And if so can you get the contract renewal price on a phone or do you have to pay full price.

Beeray
11-19-2010, 06:13 AM
I called the 877 # and they just saw I paid on time and have been a loyal customer. My daughter came over to our family share and I paid for her on a different family share $10 voice $10 texting and $30 data. I saved on her texting and $20 on her data. That is $30 right there, $20 on my data and $40 on two sons data. I just got lucky. I was turned down at least 5 times.

Beeray

didiwags
11-19-2010, 01:25 PM
So I am guessing that since I only have a 69.99 plan for 2 phones and a multimedia phone with 9.99 data and a smartphone with 29.99 data I wont get a discount! Both phone have $10 text!!
Is there somewhere you can look for these discounts??

gravybird
11-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Would someone be so kind to share the 877 number to call please? When we call verizon, they say we have to call the promotion company directly, and of course they don't have the number. Please, thank you, please thank you, please thank you. Hahaha

C Dippa
11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Check this thread for the phone number:

New Unlimited Plan from Big Red? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/95195-new-unlimited-plan-big-red.html)

This promotion is different but similar...this one worked out to be $20 cheaper for me because it has unlimited texts. They seemed willing to let me choose either promotion, but I guess it depends on your plan. I was able to add an additional data plan to my account, and still pay $30 less per month than I'm paying now.

First time I have ever added a service with Verizon and actually saved money...sweet

Thanks all for the heads up

joeyjackpot
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't bother calling if you didn't get the promotion... they checked both my lines and told me I didn't get the mailer so I'm not eligible.

gravybird
11-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm the biggest dork in the world,i got a mailer and didn't fully read the whole thing before chucking it into the round file, I just saw some prices on phones and figured they were trying to sell me something. I'm gonna call and check, couldn't hurt right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum Ap

gravybird
11-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I wasn't eligible for that exact promo, but since I still was using my old alltel plan, that I qualify for this other one that gives me 200 more minutes (which I'll never use) and data that's a lot cheaper for the two smart phones. So it should be roughly 10 bucks cheaper for me. That big discount promo only targets certain geographical areas, and BFE minnesota wasn't one of them.

Trash Can
11-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Check this thread for the phone number:

New Unlimited Plan from Big Red? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/95195-new-unlimited-plan-big-red.html)

This promotion is different but similar...this one worked out to be $20 cheaper for me because it has unlimited texts. They seemed willing to let me choose either promotion, but I guess it depends on your plan. I was able to add an additional data plan to my account, and still pay $30 less per month than I'm paying now.

First time I have ever added a service with Verizon and actually saved money...sweet

Thanks all for the heads up

After reading the first few posts of this thread, I called VZW Customer Service this morning to inquire. The first rep I spoke to knew nothing about it and transferred me to Sales, who said I wasn't eligible. After going round and round with her and realizing she wouldn't budge, I asked to speak to a Supervisor because there are exceptions to everything. She put me on hold for a minute and said a supervisor wasn't available and then asked if I would like to be transferred to the Loyalty Dept. I said yes.

The rep in the Loyalty Dept couldn't have been nicer. She said there was no reason I couldn't have the discount, and went a step further to see if there would be any other offers that would save me more money. She found the offer posted above, which will save me approx $40/mo.

Bottom line - call the Loyalty Dept direct at 877-628-8922 to get this or any other offer that may better suit your needs.

JaBr1884
11-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the info Trash Can! I'll give that number a try after the number listed in the previous link got me nowhere. Sounds like the best haggling will be with the loyalty department which is to be expected.

djenvision
11-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I just signed up for this no extension required cause I was a new customer I was told pricing will stay the same unless I decide to go to a new rate plan. SWEET DEAL

DroidNinja
11-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Saved 20$ on my plan.. Thanks for the info!

hollywood
11-21-2010, 04:09 PM
I wasn't able to get it because I am only on the 700 shared minutes plan... Lame... I usually text. I don't talk on my phone enough to upgrade rio the 1400 shared minutes plan to get the discount... :(

noXcuse
11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Just got off the phone with VZW. Apparently nobody's ever heard of this promotion there. lol. Does anyone know exactly what the name of the promotion is called? I'm dropping $160/month, just for 2 Droid X's. 700 shared minutes, 500 and 250 texts, and 2 data plans. Ridiculous.

greevedogg
11-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Hells to the Yeah!!! I had to call VZW this morning to inquire about a few different things on my bill...One was a $9.99 data charge for my fiance's dumb phone, which turns out to be a Premium Messaging charge for some scam from Messaging-Unlimited....bunch of bogus BS, which we had to opt out and all sorts of mess. Second was for getting my corporate discount applied to my dX's extended battery which never happened. And lastly, I wanted to inquire about this Family Plan Smart Phone Data Discount...

Although the CSR was really nice and helpful, he knew nothing of this promotion. He brought up some other promotion about unlimited minutes for my girl's phone when she upgrades from dumb phone to smart phone, but no data discount....So I left it at that...

Came back on the forum here, got the 877 # from above, gave them a call...

Sure as sh!+, the rep, hooked it up! I went from $204/mo to $135/mo!

KICK @$$!!!!

Xat30000
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I called last week and was unable to haggle my way to get the promotion. Today I called the loyalty number trash can provided and they added the promotion no problem and was extremely helpful.
Thank you Trash Can!!!!

hollywood
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I called last week and was unable to haggle my way to get the promotion. Today I called the loyalty number trash can provided and they added the promotion no problem and was extremely helpful.

How long have you been a customer with them? And what does your current plan consist of?

joeyjackpot
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm also on the 700 minute shared plan. I think those are the ones they don't want upgrading - we'd be paying the same or less and getting more.

Xat30000
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
How long have you been a customer with them? And what does your current plan consist of?

I have been with Verizon sense 06 and my plan is shared 1400 minutes, unlimited text and data with two lines. The promotion was $20 off of each data plan saving me $40.

Dalverny63
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
We have the 1400 + 10 family/friends with 3 lines 1 an x n da other a d2
If it's like the promotion they started rolling out last week, then..

$69 for unlimited text and data and you get 450 anytime minutes.
$139 for family plan with two phones with each additional phone $20 and you get $1400 minutes plus 10 friends and family.

Sent from my X usin Chuck 5.0

joeyjackpot
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I also only have one smartphone on my plan... the other is a Dare... but we would probably upgrade that to a smartphone if we could be put on a plan that saves us money on data... but i'm not gonna switch to a phone higher plan just so i can possibly get a discount lol. either give it or dont.

Trash Can
11-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I wasn't able to get it because I am only on the 700 shared minutes plan... Lame... I usually text. I don't talk on my phone enough to upgrade rio the 1400 shared minutes plan to get the discount... :(

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to upgrade your plan in most cases, but this may be one of them. A friend of mine upgraded to a 1400 minute family plan just today to get the promo discount and it is saving him a huge amount of money.

Just got off the phone with VZW. Apparently nobody's ever heard of this promotion there. lol. Does anyone know exactly what the name of the promotion is called? I'm dropping $160/month, just for 2 Droid X's. 700 shared minutes, 500 and 250 texts, and 2 data plans. Ridiculous.

It's called "talk, text, plus data" or something like that. The "advertised" promo price for two lines is $139.99 for 1400 shared minutes with unlimited text and data. Each additional line is $19.99. Corp discounts will provide additional savings.

Please note this offer is only available if all phones on the plan are smart phones. There is another promo plan for single lines for $69.99 - 450 min with unlimited text/data.

I was a customer from 2002 through 2008, then left to give the iPhone a shot. I came back to VZW when the X was released.

The plan is still out there if you talk to the right rep, although it is for a limited time only. Don't waste your time with the normal CSR folks. Call the Loyalty Dept direct and tell them exactly what you want. Most of all, enjoy the savings! :)

hollywood
11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to upgrade your plan in most cases, but this may be one of them. A friend of mine upgraded to a 1400 minute family plan just today to get the promo discount and it is saving him a huge amount of money.

It's called "talk, text, plus data" or something like that. The "advertised" promo price for two lines is $139.99 for 1400 shared minutes with unlimited text and data. Each additional line is $19.99. Corp discounts will provide additional savings.

Please note this offer is only available if all phones on the plan are smart phones. There is another promo plan for single lines for $69.99 - 450 min with unlimited text/data.

I was a customer from 2002 through 2008, then left to gave the iPhone a shot. I came back to VZW when the X was released.

The plan is still out there if you talk to the right rep, although it is for a limited time only. Don't waste your time with the normal CSR folks. Call the Loyalty Dept direct and tell them exactly what you want. Most of all, enjoy the savings! :)

With my employee discount with HP, on an unlimited text and data with 700 shared minutes, I pay about $155 after taxes and stuff each month. If I upgraded to the 1400 shared minute plan, I would potentially get about $40 off of that price, right? About how much do you think the price difference would be?

Trash Can
11-23-2010, 09:09 PM
With my employee discount with HP, on an unlimited text and data with 700 shared minutes, I pay about $155 after taxes and stuff each month. If I upgraded to the 1400 shared minute plan, I would potentially get about $40 off of that price, right? About how much do you think the price difference would be?

With my employee discount, I was paying about $160/mo total for two X's on a 1400 minute shared plan with unlimited text and data. Now it's down to about $120.

All I can say is call the Loyalty Dept and see what they have to say. They are really nice folks who will run the numbers if you ask. Good luck!

greevedogg
11-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Trash Can was right about the all phones on the family share plan need to be smart phones...

But for my circumstance, I have 2 X's and one dumb phone, but it saved me a bunch by upping my fiance's dumb phone to unlimited data...we still save over what we were paying...went from $205 to $135 before govt taxes, etc...and then if/when the iphone comes out for VZW, (that what she wants...), she'll already be subscribed to a data package, so no extra charges incurred...

Definitely something to look into for all you guys...Just call the Loyalty dept and see if it works for you...877 # is up in one of Trash's previous posts...

joeyjackpot
11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
I called and spoke to two diff people in Loyalty Dept. Everyone I've called and spoke to said the same thing... you have to be on the list to get the promo. They are sending more out daily, so if you called in and suddenly they give it to you, your number is on the list and you are approved for the promo, they aren't bending the rules and you didn't find a workaround.

AirJordan
11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
What list are you talking about?

greevedogg
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I was never mailed anything....guess I was already on the list:)

joeyjackpot
11-24-2010, 12:55 PM
What list are you talking about?

the list of people who have been "sent" the promo (whether or not you actually received it)... they said a lot of times its old emails, old addresses, or you called in before the mailer actually got to you... but if you were given the promo, your account is on a "list" generated somewhere by verizon, that all the reps have access to (by phone number)... the list is the accounts that are being used as testers for this offer to see how people respond to it... and they cannot circumvent this list and apply it to accounts that it has not been offered to... nor can they add you to the list.

naturally, i'm sure it's possible, just not by the reps i talked to.

AirJordan
11-24-2010, 01:01 PM
If I'm not the account holder, can I still call in to see if our plan is on the "list"?

joeyjackpot
11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
as long as you have the billing password... which i believe has to be numbers as they ask for it on the dialpad. before they even connect you to someone, they ask for your phone number and the billing password.

04CiviCon20s
11-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Good Looks JD, Am wandering which disc will be greater, My corporate or this

Trash Can
11-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Good Looks JD, Am wandering which disc will be greater, My corporate or this

Hopefully you'll get both. I received my corporate discount on top of this promo.

budmonster
11-24-2010, 10:49 PM
is thread about the 139 family plan or is vzw offering something new now?

Trash Can
11-24-2010, 11:11 PM
is thread about the 139 family plan or is vzw offering something new now?

Yes, at least the last several pages. 1400 shared min with unlimited text and data on two lines. Smart phones only (unless you add a dummy data plan like greevedogg did).

FMMFL
11-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I just talked to a couple normal CSR type people and they wouldn't budge. Gonna try the loyalty department now.

x909xvolcomx
11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Just called the loyalty department and said i recieved the email ( i didnt) and they gave me the promo plan $139.99/month plus $19.99 additional lines. I only had one smartphone and three dumbphones on the plan, i had to upgrade all my lines so now i have two droid 2s and two droid xs and im paying $179.99 a month! I was paying $169.99 a month before with one smartphone but now everyone has one for $10 more a month... not a bad deal!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jonsgirl
12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I called the loyalty department. She said you have to be on the list to get the promo. I was not on the list.

Trash Can
12-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I called the loyalty department. She said you have to be on the list to get the promo. I was not on the list.

It appears that you need to speak to the 'right' rep, even within the Loyalty Dept. My sister called the other day and was told she was not eligible for the promo because she was not on the list. She called again today and got it - $40/mo off her bill. Keep trying!

SandJunkie
12-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I was among a select # of current Verizon customers to receive this offer via email about 5 days ago...

I have 4 phones on a Family Share Plan (1400 min, $89.99 for 1st 2 lines, $9.99/month for 2 addt'l lines, $30 for Unlimited Texting on ALL lines = $139.97 / month).

I just added a Droid X + Unlimited Data Plan @ $29.99 >>> new plan = $169.96

The promotion offered to me was $139.99 for 1400 min on a Family Share Plan for 1st two phones, plus a $9.99/month credit for each extra SMART PHONE LINE ($129.99 + $29.99 + $29.99 - $9.99 - $9.99 = $179.99) --- however ALL lines on the account had to have FULL DATA PACKAGES.

Two of my lines are for small kids (really don't want them to have unlimited data access), and my wife is not interested in a Smart Phone (phone / texting does the trick for her).

THEREFORE, make sure you really need DATA on ALL lines on your account, or you will end up adding features / expense that may not be utilized. Read the fine print...

Enjoy!

OK wait...was I the only one who has the math wrong?...from what I read in the previous post it was

"I got this deal two weeks ago in the mail. 1400 shared mins unlimited text for the first two lines. Then unlimited data (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/) at 9.99 per line actually its 29.99 per with a discount 20.00 per line."

So to me the real math would be
$129.99 + $29.99 + $29.99 - $20.00 - $20.00 = $149.97....

Sorry to be negative in my first post but this just struck me as odd...especially since I just ordered my Droid X and have yet to receive it...or am I wrong?

Bring the hate...

ronjr123
12-06-2010, 07:25 AM
What exactly is this plan called, so when I call today I can speak intelligently. I have a 2000 min/mo plan with five phones, three off them smart phones. Will this help me?

rspeters
12-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I was able to call the loyalty department and get the plan so my wife could get a smart phone as well. They started off by telling me I wasn't on the list but I was persistent and they have in with manager approval of course. I heard it was called the everything plan.... don't know if that's true though.

Trash Can
12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
What exactly is this plan called, so when I call today I can speak intelligently. I have a 2000 min/mo plan with five phones, three off them smart phones. Will this help me?

It's called "talk and text plus data" or something like that. The plan starts at $139.99 for 1400 min with unlimited text and data on two lines. Each additional line is $19.99. You will need to add a dummy data plan to any line that is not a smart phone. I'm sure you can get more minutes but not sure of the cost.

drzeus
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey.
For those still trying to get this plan, here is (apparently) the html for the email from Verizons site

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseForm?OSPEUT_9_9_z_UU_0Hsr_.2eHmH_wkhthE

I just did a Google search and this was the first hit.
The plan is obviously real- its just a matter of who is eligible...am I?
Ask me in a coupla ' hours....

Ad specifically states "1 year contract renewal required".
I wanna add an additional phone to my plan. Wonder if that could be considered a new contract? hummm...

joeyjackpot
12-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Being forwarded the email does nothing, they check based on your number. Give a call, the worst that'll happen is you're told no.

Cigator
12-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Im on an old plan. 2100 minutes, 1 smartphone and 4 dumb phones. Unlimited on the smart, unlimited text on others. The base rate is 139.99, with the other phones taxes its about $260. Dont think this will help

noXcuse
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
On phone now. This offer has EXPIRED.

bennybbc
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
On phone now. This offer has EXPIRED.

Not true as of 2:00PM PST. I currently have the 1400 minute Talk and Text plan with 4 phones. 2 of them are smart phones with the $30 data plan and the other 2 are dumb phones with no data plan. I just called the Verizon, "Customer Loyalty" number and the first lady I spoke to couldn't/wouldn't help me with the discount. I called right back and the next lady started off like the first one saying that it didn't appear that I was eligible if I didn't receive the email with the special offer. I then read a couple of the relevant posts from this thread and she then said that if I was willing to upgrade the other 2 dumb phones to the unlimited data plan Verizon would credit each phone $20 per month. That makes 4 phones with unlimited data for $10 per month each. I was paying $60 for 2 data plans. Now I'm paying $40 for 4 data plans. She said there is a requirement of a 1 year contract but since I still have a little less than 2 years left on my contract it wouldn't be a problem. She even checked to see if we were eligible for any other discounts. She asked where we worked. I'm self employed but my wife manages a nice hotel for a major chain so were eligible for a 10% discount. Cool! Verizon customer service is Awesome! unfortunately now both my wife and son will want to replace their LG Cosmos phones with Smart Phones...So much for saving money. At least I'll be able to swap the dumb phones for smart phones without changing my plan now.

Bruce

rspeters
12-07-2010, 10:31 PM
That's basically what they tried to do with my wifes plan but I made them upgrade her phone early so she didn't have to wait to get a smart phone....just ask for a manager...works almost every time.

VelvetyAmoeba
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Two quick questions.

By using this promotion, are you EXTENDING your contract by a year (you have 15 months left on current contract, now you have 27), or signing a new 1-year contract?

And, are you eligible for getting phones at the 1-year discounted price when you sign up with this promotion?

Thanks.

gravybird
12-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Two quick questions.

By using this promotion, are you EXTENDING your contract by a year (you have 15 months left on current contract, now you have 27), or signing a new 1-year contract?

And, are you eligible for getting phones at the 1-year discounted price when you sign up with this promotion?

Thanks.

The way they explained it to me was that it doesn't affect your phone upgrade date, just extends your contact for a year if you have less than a year to go.

drzeus
12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Verified: Plan HAS NOT EXPIRED. Just spoke w a loyalty rep and she tried to get me on this "test" plan that has been offered to select accounts. I unfortunately was not eligible. I did not however speak w a service mgr. Will.try again tomorrow.

drzeus
12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Update: Called back after making previous post, spoke w different rep and she signed me up!! Went from 2 lines sharing 700 minutes (both w unlimited data) at $160/mo to 3 lines sharing 1400 minutes (all 3 unlimited data) for$ 160/mo. Can't beat that!! Within minutes of me speaking w the first rep, we recd a text from vzn the we were eligible!!

noXcuse
12-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Unbelievable. Every time I've called, I was told I wasnt eligible. Then the last time, I was told it expired. F'n Verizon.

Sent from my DROIDX

bennybbc
12-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Verified: Plan HAS NOT EXPIRED. Just spoke w a loyalty rep and she tried to get me on this "test" plan that has been offered to select accounts. I unfortunately was not eligible. I did not however speak w a service mgr. Will.try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the, "Verification" but I thought my post stating that the offer was still valid would be taken as the truth and didn't require verification. ;)

Also, I never had to speak with a service manager. I just hung up and called back and spoke with another CSR. She was a little hesitant at first until I read some excerpts from this thread. She almost immediately said that I could switch all 4 phones to Unlimited Data, (Versus just 2 of the 4 that were that way) and I'd get a $20 credit on all 4 phones.

Regarding the 1 year contract deal, if you have a year or more remaining on your current contract you are good to go. Otherwise you have to add a year. I have about 20 months remaining on mine so I was fine there.

I'd recommend that anyone having a problem getting them to sign them up to this plan just keep calling back and don't be too quick to back down. At least with the CSR I talked to, she changed her mind when I read her some relevant posts from this thread. Perhaps talking to a Service Manager would help but it isn't always necessary.

Bruce

bennybbc
12-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Unbelievable. Every time I've called, I was told I wasnt eligible. Then the last time, I was told it expired. F'n Verizon.

Sent from my DROIDX

That sucks but maybe you're just not saying the right things or not being assertive enough. Or, just not talking to the right person. For what it's worth, I've had nothing but outstanding customer service from Verizon. I really can't fault the CSR's who are saying, "No" to this discount. It sounds like the people who didn't get the special email but are still getting the discount, (Me, for example) are being done a favor. I talked to the people at one of my local Verizon stores and nobody there, not even the manager had heard of this program. The first CSR that told me know was very polite and apologetic about it at least and probably just following the policy. Keep trying! :)

Bruce

Angela2932
12-10-2010, 09:39 AM
My plan just went from $235 a month to $160!!!!!!!!!!!! And I added a 4th data plan! I'm so excited, I'm getting hives! I didn't have to be particularly assertive, just asked, and lucked out, I guess. It's worth trying again if you get turned down, because they are still honoring this.

bennybbc
12-10-2010, 12:58 PM
My plan just went from $235 a month to $160!!!!!!!!!!!! And I added a 4th data plan! I'm so excited, I'm getting hives! I didn't have to be particularly assertive, just asked, and lucked out, I guess. It's worth trying again if you get turned down, because they are still honoring this.

Wow! That's quite a savings. 4 data plans x $20 each equals $80. Where did you lose the $5? Not that I would complain about $5 but I'm just curious how that worked that way.

Bruce

markghmi
12-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Just tried making some changes with Verizon in regards to the $139.99 for 1400 minutes and unlimited data on the first two phones. I was told that this does not include unlimited texting. The unlimited data plan is only unlimited internet and email, so I would still need a $30.00 unlimited text plan (teenagers in the house). Has anyone else been told this in regards to text messages?

I looked closer at the promo plan from the link above and see that this promo includes the unlimited text, unlike my current plan.

Thanks,
Mark

johnnysyeah
12-11-2010, 05:11 PM
What is this Verizon offer called?
I'd like to call in and ask if I am eligible but I don't know how to refer to it.
I'm currently on a 5 user family plan with 3 unlimited data plans, 1400 shared minutes, and unlimited texting for $275 a month.
It'd help greatly if I could bring that down even by a little percentage.

EDIT:
Well, I just called VZW and asked, and they said they checked my 5 lines to see if an email was sent to any of those lines.
Since no email was sent, I'm not eligible yet.
That sucks.

psychotic_penguin
12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
For whatever reason I wasn't able to make a change...typical

markghmi
12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
It took two more tries, but I was able to get the promo.

Thaks everyone for the info.

grooveguru
12-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Still in effect but was told this definitely isn't for the general public. I went from 5 lines (2 smartphone data plans) with 700 minutes to 5 lines of unlimited text, and data and 1400 minutes plus 10 Family and Friends numbers for $4.00 more a month! Score! :greendroid:

Leon
12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Called today, ended up saving over $30 a month plus went from 500 to unlimited texts on 2 lines.

AlexZ
12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
2 requirements according to rep:
1. Smart phone purchased prior to 11/18/10?
2. "Nationwide Family Plan" 700, 1400, and Unlimited

I was excluded because I have a 3000 minuted plan for 5 phones, 3 are smart phones w/ full data plans and unlimited text/pix/ etc.

ratheruninspired
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I just upgraded to family share plan yesterday angot. $10 off. And I get to keep the $20 discount off for talk text and data. All contract extensions to on the new person added, not the existing contract holder.

Sent from my DROIDX

link9228
12-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I just bought my Droid X and they informed me that they were removing the ten/mo for an added line. I am happy,I only have to pay my mom twenty a month now.

Sent from my DROIDX

wilyums
12-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Wow, got the discount! I have four phones was paying 260.00/mnth. The discount saved me 80.00
Now with for phones w/everything I'm down to 180.00/mnth! I'm blown away happy. I know some folks have had bad experiences with verizon customer service but this is the fourth time I have dealt with them and can't be happier. Didn't have any problems, just ask about the talk, text, and data discount. Call the loyalty dept. number. I love to save money!!!!

zoomzoom9
12-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Just called and got it! More minutes and about $30 less per month! Thanks for posting this!

jonsgirl
12-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I called 877-873-3278 and said I had a flyer and wanted to know about the unlimited data promo. He did not indicate that it was for a select group of people. All lines do not have to be smart phones.

I had:
5 lines
1400 minutes
unlimited texting
2 lines with unlimited data
$210 per month

I now have
5 lines 1400 minutes
unlimited texting
5 lines with unlimited data
$200

So I am saving $10 per month and got unlimited data for 3 additional lines!

The guy I spoke to was Kevin. We were disconnected during the call and I had to call back. He answered both times and stated it's a very small department for this promotion. Keep calling back until you get Kevin! :)

sierra
12-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I had to call twice to get this. The first person said it wasnt allowed, and I wasnt eligible. So I hung up, called back and got someone who was much more helpful

I have one smartphone, and one dumb phone

old plan
texting costs for both lines $15
Data plan, one line $30
1400 min shared minutes at $89

New plan
Unlimited texts, both lines $0
Unlimited data plan, both lines $20
1400 shared minutes $119

Total difference in my bill... I added $5 to my bill, but feel good about it since now I can try and talk hubby into a smartphone. (He can have my old BB) and it wont cost anymore.

I'm happy. :)

prpredators
12-22-2010, 08:23 AM
i'm on the phone right now and they are asking for an email and seem to have no idea of any promotion going on unless it was email specific to the phone number on that email. is there a promotion code of some sort that you need to ask for?

prpredators
12-22-2010, 08:27 AM
ok.. so the rep just clarified the promotion for me.. you need to have a 1400 minute plan and every phone needs to have the 29.99 data plan on it. that doesn't mesh with some of the postings on this thread, but in hte end, i wasn't able to get the promotion because i only had a 700 minute plan and only 2 data plans.

sierra
12-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Call back and get someone else....ask for the plan by name...(its somewhere in this thread...maybe page 5? Talk, text and more, maybe??) I got that same answer the first time I called.....but the second time, I was given the promo without a problem.

Keep trying, and it will happen! Heck... I only had one data plan and added a second one with this promo. (However... I was already on a 1400 min plan)

Good luck

jonsgirl
12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff358/spotmark222/VZWUnlimited-1.jpg

dennyjones
12-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm on the phone right now and received a $50 discount + an increase from 700 minutes to 1400 minutes. I had one phone that was not a smart phone but changed it.

I reminded them that I was a customer before Verizon existed back in 1994.

Neeco51
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I called about this plan and the CSR had no clue about what I was asking for. I quoted him references from this thread and he still couldn't find it in the system. After about an hour I gave up but he promised to look into it and he would call me back. I then called the loyalty direct line as suggested in this thread expecting to get better service but I got nowhere with them. They knew about the promo but refused to give it to me saying that I was not on their promo list and there was no way that they could change that. I asked to talk to a manager but got no where. I gave up again! The next day the CSR that I first talked to called me back and said he spoke with his manager, and he approved the promo. I had two smart phones and two dumb phones paying $175, now I have 4 smart phones with unlimited data on all four for $175.
Don't take NO for an answer, you just need to find the right person on the other end of the line. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

mattphelps
12-24-2010, 03:39 AM
This is good having plans on smartphones at a discounted rate is nice. It becomes a little cheaper. Consumers is always happy on such discounts because they think that they spend less. But are these discounts really beneficial to the part of the consumer? Or is it for the benefit of the provider?

bennybbc
12-24-2010, 04:12 AM
This is good having plans on smartphones at a discounted rate is nice. It becomes a little cheaper. Consumers is always happy on such discounts because they think that they spend less. But are these discounts really beneficial to the part of the consumer? Or is it for the benefit of the provider?

Why question this as if Verizon is somehow getting the best of us? I'm getting a lot more for a lot less. I think that applies to most people who sign up for this program. There are likely some people who had to extend their contacts by a year but many, such as myself, did not. The only way Verizon is benefitting in my case is by making me a more happy and loyal customer. I'm certainly not looking for a downside to now having all 4 phones with unlimited data instead of just 2 of the 4 and saving $240 a year. Why look for the negative?

tech_head
12-24-2010, 12:46 PM
With long time customers churn is not something they want.
There is a reason why the plan is not available to people who haven’t had Verizon a long time.
Sprint has an equivalent offering and they don’t want long time customers bailing for Sprint or tMobile.

bennybbc
12-24-2010, 03:01 PM
With long time customers churn is not something they want.
There is a reason why the plan is not available to people who haven’t had Verizon a long time.

I'm not sure what you consider a, "Long time customer". We got the discount and we have only
been Verizon customers since late August of this year. We weren't one of the customers who got the email announcing the email and I didn't have to try very hard to get the discount.

Whatever Verizon's motive is, the result is that I got a lot more for a lot less money. Verizon is certainly expensive but the customer service I have received from them on numerous occasions has been excellent and now they saved me $240 a year. Plus the coverage is far superior to any other phone company, (Other than Tracfone) in most of the U.S., especially the western half. Needless to say, I'm a happy customer.

sfetaz
12-25-2010, 10:19 PM
I had a 1400 minute family share plan around 145 month total with my droid x and 2 regular phones. Then i switched to 700 minute plan for i think 35 dollars cheaper but no f&f. THEN i logged into the my verizon app and saw for 10 dollars more i could get unlimited minutes so I switched over. I do have a 13% corporate discount and have been a vzw customer with the same number for the last 9.5 years. Plan is unlimited m2m texts w 500 any texts by choice. I will check bills over the lasr few months to seee what the impact was of all these changes.

mhoward35
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I was going to upgrade my phones, my contract just ended does anyone if you have to go directly with Verizon to take advantage of this plan. I would like to get the best possible phones I can with the least amount of money out of pocket. Really want 4 Droid X. Let me know. Thanks

cynkrzy
12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Not sure who to thank, probably all y'all. I called the 877 number talked to Paula and got a heck of a discount it turns out. Have 4 phones and it saves me about $70.00/mo!

WcHorse
12-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Got my discount. Thanks!

bennybbc
12-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I was going to upgrade my phones, my contract just ended does anyone if you have to go directly with Verizon to take advantage of this plan. I would like to get the best possible phones I can with the least amount of money out of pocket. Really want 4 Droid X. Let me know. Thanks

I didn't see anything about the plan on the Verizon website. But you probably already knew this because you looked for yourself...Right? You did take the time to go to the Verizon website and clicked on, "Plans" didn't you? Well, hopefully you did.;) Regardless, it appears that you need to do what the rest of us did in this thread and call the Verizon Loyalty Dept direct at 877-628-8922. I had to call back a second time and the second CSR was hesitant at first but after I read some of the pertinent posts from this thread to her she agreed to set me up with the plan.

I know that it's a pain to do business over the phone but if you get the plan the savings are worth it. I didn't have to wait either time I called. It did take a little while to change my plan but if you did it online it would probably take you about the same time since either you or the CSR has to enter the info into the system.

The plan requires that you have a minimum of 1 year of service left on your contract so you'll have to agree to that. I had a little less than 2 years so I didn't have to add any time to my contract.

We went from 4 phones on the 1400 minute talk and unlimited text plan with 2 of them being smart phones, ($30 each unlimited data) and 2 of them being "dumb phones" (No data plan) to all 4 phones having unlimited data. We're billed for 4 phones unlimited data at $30 a piece but each phone gets a $20 credit. We were spending $60 per month for 2 phones with unlimited data and now spend $40 per month for all 4 phones with unlimited data. Of course my wife and son were no longer satisfied with their LG Cosmos phones so they both got new, (Well, used but pristine condition) Droid 1 phones for Christmas. I paid a combined $275 for the Droids and expect to get about $100 a piece for the LG Cosmos phones on Craig's List or Ebay.

Anyone who hasn't taken the time to make some phone calls to get this plan really should. Persistance has paid off for most people if the CSR doesn't allow you to sign up for the plan. Just keep calling back and talking to another CSR until you find one that will sign you up.

Sailmaker
12-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Go Figure...I called the Verizon Loyalty number (877-628-8922) and it was a no-go. CSR said they had no record of me being sent an email or a text msg; consequently, the plan was no longer available. Sooo, I called the number on the Promotion Flyer, 877-873-3278 and spoke with a different CSR. BINGO. Will save $10/month. Basically it will mean that I get unlimited texting, whereas before I was paying $10/month for 500 txt msgs. It's kind of screwy how they will bill it though. The price for 450 minutes per month goes up by $20 and I will receive a monthly credit of $20 for the unlimited data plan. Like I said, Go Figure! :confused:

PhDCow
12-31-2010, 06:58 AM
OK, I just did this yesterday at a VZ store.

We're on the Nationwide Family Share Talk & Text plan with 700 minutes. As of yesterday, I was the only one with a smartphone and data package. We upgraded my hubby's old phone to a DX with no problem and got the deal. So instead of paying $40 for his line ($10 as 2nd line + $30 unlimited data), we're paying $30.

It was very easy to do. We did it on an existing line. The rep did say that they're ending the promotion relatively soon. And while we were getting everything done, there were two other families doing the same thing.

rootpooty
01-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Okay help me out here i have the family plan with 4 lines and 2000 min with droid x on one line htc incredible on the other and the other 2 are just regular phones and i have a little over a year left on my contract. What number do i call and how do i get the discount? Any help will be greatly appreciated

GlowinSmurff
01-02-2011, 01:10 PM
i used *611(from vzw handset) to do our plan change

nolanrupp
01-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Not the same thing. What you are talking about is the smartphones talk free promo.

jmlr74
01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks. I just called the verizon loyalty #. The nice lady saved me 40 bucks a month. I called the promotion# first and the lady looked up my account and said they didn't send me that and the promotion is over. I have four lines 2 droid x , droid and a non smartphone with unlimited on the just the 2 X's and 150 mb on the droid. Now unlimited data on all four even though the forth isn't able to use data. Basically I'm paying the same amount I was paying for three lines and only one with unlimited data. Thanks alot.

GlowinSmurff
01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Not the same thing. What you are talking about is the smartphones talk free promo.

Who are you refering to? If in response to me, i'm talking about the Talk Text Data Plan. (1400 Minutes/ etc. etc.)

awilson18
01-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks. I just called the verizon loyalty #. The nice lady saved me 40 bucks a month. I called the promotion# first and the lady looked up my account and said they didn't send me that and the promotion is over. I have four lines 2 droid x , droid and a non smartphone with unlimited on the just the 2 X's and 150 mb on the droid. Now unlimited data on all four even though the forth isn't able to use data. Basically I'm paying the same amount I was paying for three lines and only one with unlimited data. Thanks alot.

What in gods name is the customer loyalty number and how did you convince them to adjust your bill?

Sailmaker
01-05-2011, 12:35 PM
What in gods name is the customer loyalty number and how did you convince them to adjust your bill?
Quite a few folks have reported different results depending on the number they called.

I called the Verizon Loyalty number (877-628-8922) and it was a no-go. CSR said they had no record of me being sent an email or a text msg; consequently, the plan was no longer available. Sooo, I called the number on the Promotion Flyer, 877-873-3278 and spoke with a different CSR. BINGO. Will save $10/month. Basically it will mean that I get unlimited texting, whereas before I was paying $10/month for 500 txt msgs.
It's kind of screwy how they will bill it though. The price for 450 minutes per month goes up by $20 and I will receive a monthly credit of $20 for the unlimited data plan. Some people have called the *611 number and had success.
There appears to be little rhyme or reason on which number gives the most positive results. Just call all three numbers until you find one that will give you the promotional pricing for your service. You may have to call the same number more than once until you get a different CSR who will give you the promotional pricing.
When I called, I just said I wanted to switch my plan to the $69.99 unlimited text, data and mobile-to-mobile plan. (it's not really unlimited calling; you get 450 anytime minutes per month unless calling another Verizon number, which doesn't deduct from the 450 anytime minutes) The CSR said, "Okay, let me switch your plan now!" (and she did; my current bill already shows the new plan; it was made retroactive to the beginning of my billing cycle)

bigdog_321
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Just called for the first time to try and get on this plan. I have 4 lines - Nationwide T&T FS 700 (DroidX, Ally and 2 Reality) w/ DX on unl data, min data on the Ally and std. accounts on the Reality's. Was paying $148.46/mo ($90 + 9.99 + 29.99 + 9.99 +15.00 + 9.99 + 9.99 - 18% discount). Got a VERY nice Victoria and I tell her I'm interested in the Talk, text and data plan. She says "no problem, lets get you changed over"!!!!

Long story short - now have Nationwide Talk & Text FS 1400 for $158.37/month! So for $10/month more I got unlim data on 3 phones, doubled my minutes and 10 friends & family! Unbelievable.

Thanks to all of you for posting info and your stories which turned me on to this opportunity.

(edit: I called the 877-873-3278 number on the email)

NAMLOOT
01-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks all. This thread encouraged me to call. I called the number on the email and had no luck. I called the loyalty number, asked about the talk and text plus data, and the lady had no problem hooking me up. The plan isn't the same az listed in the email. I had my two x phones and two dumb phones all converted to unlimited data. I'll save less than 10 bucks a month, but am stoked that I have unl data on all 4 lines and am paying less. I had no data on the dumb phones prior.

just4sc
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Just called yesterday and got the promotion. I called the loyalty department and got a no-go. Called the promotional number and the nice lady who answered had no issue giving me the promotion. She did say that it wasn't for everyone but she said that she didn't think it should be an issue. I would mention her name but since it's not a very common name I don't want to get her in trouble - just in case.

FYI - the promotion ends at the end of the month so don't wait too long if you are thinking about it. Just keep calling back until you get a yes.

johnny9374
01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
sweet! I just saved $30 a month

DonKilluminati
01-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Right now we are currently on the Nationwide Talk and Text FS Plan, and spending about $145 / mo after my company discount. We have no data on any lines currently, but our 2 years will be up in about a month or so.

I was expecting to add data to two of the lines when we renew, but after reading this I am wondering if there is a cheaper deal than simply adding 40 a month to our current bill (29.99 x 2, minus 10 x 2 for the "smartphones talk free promotion"). Would my best course of action be simply calling the Loyalty Department? We have been customers for about six years now, never paying late or having any issues. If so, should I just tell the employee my situation, or should I ask about a specific promotion or plan? Thanks for your help!

nolanrupp
02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
This may sound lame but I had my mother call to get this promo as she is the account holder she got it no problem but they effed up the billing end. I work as an indirect agent for vzw and our account wash changed to 5 lines w/ unlimited data and a $20 promo on each line. Everything looked perfect on the account not saving us money but giving us all unlimited data for the same price. We got our bill of $400 the next month with included a month in advance. Idk how they messed it up again but the next month we got another bill for $300. We got credit back but wtf. Anyone else have billing issues?

CrAsH_OvErIdE
02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
That's the corporation doing it's thing!

~On the house~

CrAsH_OvErIdE
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Bait and switch. Under the carpet. Secret charges. Fake numbers on the bill. Etc......

~On the house~

Csst
02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Would i be able to save at all?? I have the 1400 SP but i have a droid X and my other 2 lines are not data lines i pay with my 6% discount 161.00 a month. i have 29.99 Data on my line only.. Nothing on other 2 lines

mabb706
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I had that problem they were sopose to change that day they put it into affect to a diffrent month. I was on the phone for 3 hr to fix that problem

John.Borgen
02-18-2011, 09:58 PM
This does not sound good to me. I signed up last month. I received a $100+ credit this month (the gal made the data plan Retro active) but now I'm nervous about next months bill. Over all, this should have saved me about $50 a month...I guess time will tell. I know I've had to watch the big red V closely in the last to get my billing squared, I can donut again.

02-19-2011, 09:16 AM
My opinion is Verizon has good coverage, poor service.

SierraRR
02-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Thats great. I have 2 on my family plan.