PDA

View Full Version : Rooting help!

sambobber2
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone

I just got this here Droid X on thursday and I heard a friend taking about how he rooted his phone.

I have z4 downloaded, wifi tether, titanium backup, all that stuff

Now here's my problem.
I've never rooted my phone before. I really don't want to mess anything up since I just got this thing on thursday and my luck is they won't give me another.

Are there any things I should know about rooting? Is z4 safe? What happens if my phone bricks? Really the only reason I want my phone rooted is so that i can wifi tether and the customizations.

Some important(?) Info
•Running the software that it came with three days ago (2.2)
•On verizon wireless
• Complete noob when it comes to phone rooting.
• Super paranoid
• Have z4 downloaded, along with titanium backup and wifi tether. (NOT INSTALLED)

Please help me on this before I mess my stuff up!

Thank you

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

mrclean2828
11-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Z4 should work. I used it on a friends captivate. Worked fine. I let it run couple minutes and nothing. Then backed out and ran again and in seconds the device rebooted and was rooted. I hear it works fine on dx

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

1KDS
11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
There's a whole thread on z4 here and on XDA, lots of success on the DX, I used a similar 1 click app. There is much less chance of bricking your phone with an app like this compared to the old way.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/11271-rooted-using-z4root-found-appbrain-hot-apps-today.html

thewakka1
11-16-2010, 05:39 AM
I just rooted my phone yesterday with Z4root. and it is working fine. Like sambobber I am new to this as well. I did download titanium, setcpu,wireless tether, I also have been playing with launcher pro...wireless tether was easy and easy to find with my cp,,,worked great. so far i havnt done anything with setcpu other than open the app,, it is set to max 1000000 and min 300000 with scaling: ondemand.....I dont know much about it other than everyone seems to be using it, I am gonna do more research on it before i start making changes, the main reason i wanted that program is because of battery life. with titanium I did a batch backup and ran Backup all user apps + system data, then I ran Move user apps to the SD card. I am one of these people that has to focus on one app at a time and understand that app before moving on to another...I wish there was a setCPU for dummies or Titanium backup for dummies.. Well good luck and keep us posted on your phone..from .....Droid X 2.2...OUT