PDA

View Full Version : Droid X and car

treyinga
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey all,

I have all my music on my Droid X and would like to start playing it in my car through the speakers, but I do not have an auxiliary jack. Is there a blue tooth method or something I can buy to play it through the radio or something?

Thanks!!

Garemlin
11-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Easiest way would be to use an FM modulator. Plugs in just like a charger would and it has a built-in transmitter that sends a signal to a preset FM station.

treyinga
11-06-2010, 11:47 AM
and are those available most anywhere?

Garemlin
11-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes they are. Best Buy, amazon.com, etc. Pretty much anywhere that sell mobile phone and mp3 player accessories.

jloya
11-06-2010, 11:52 AM
only issue with FM modulators it the sound is sooo soo....i guess that depends on where you live and how many radio stations you have

what kinda car do you have? is it a stock stereo?

Garemlin
11-06-2010, 11:58 AM
only issue with FM modulators it the sound is sooo soo....i guess that depends on where you live and how many radio stations you have

what kinda car do you have? is it a stock stereo?

Yeah but sometimes it is the only option. And some give you the option to choose which station to use so you can use one that is clear and not broadcasting in your area.

ryant35
11-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I bought a hard wired FM modulator that connects to the car stereo's antenna connector, and the antenna plugs into the modulator. I have one for my Sirius radio and one that gives me a headphone jack. It's not has good as an aux port but it's better than any non-hard wired FM modulator.

wahoobie
11-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I bought a hard wired FM modulator that connects to the car stereo's antenna connector, and the antenna plugs into the modulator. I have one for my Sirius radio and one that gives me a headphone jack. It's not has good as an aux port but it's better than any non-hard wired FM modulator.

I installed the same on my '04 Saturn VUE (the year before they made AUX standard). It's a great setup without paying to replace the head unit.

maxshelor
11-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Besides the Droid X being unveiled today in New York, this car dock made an appearance as well. Naturally, a device of this caliber will have a slew of accessories. Not only is this dock a multimedia cradle but it has scratch guards and it can charge the phone. This dock will cost $39.99 and will put the device in the new dashboard UI that is a new component of MotoBlur.
Well, the Droid X will have an optional snap-on case with its own kickstand. This case will retail for $24.99. Verizon will also offer a few NFL themed skins that it likely a spin-off of the included NFL app. And last but certainly not least, the multimedia cradle. This cradle will retail for the low price of $9.99, there’s no word on if it will feature an HDMI jack but I expect it to be there. If you need an HDMI cable for your Droid X, that will also be available for $24.99.

greevedogg
11-17-2010, 09:06 AM
If your car's stereo has a 12-pin connector in the back of the head unit for, say, a multi-disc cd changer to put in the trunk, you can by a cable made by belkin that converts the 12-pin to RCA so you can use it wired in...

In my experience, the FM modulators suck @$$, usually come with all sorts of static at no extra charge! I would look at whatever way you can to get your music into your car with a wired connection.

Just my 2 cents...

ryant35
11-17-2010, 09:19 AM
If your car's stereo has a 12-pin connector in the back of the head unit for, say, a multi-disc cd changer to put in the trunk, you can by a cable made by belkin that converts the 12-pin to RCA so you can use it wired in...

In my experience, the FM modulators suck @$$, usually come with all sorts of static at no extra charge! I would look at whatever way you can to get your music into your car with a wired connection.

Just my 2 cents...

Those 12 pin connectors are pretty expensive, it may be worth just getting a new head unit with an AUX input. I just worry about getting a new stereo for my car since it has the big double DIN unit, and the next car might not.

Last year I got a few Best Buy gift cards for Christmas, maybe I'll get some more this year and I can get a new stereo.

greevedogg
11-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Come to think of it, I had a Kenwood head unit with a 12-pin connection in the back of it, and I bought a cable like this:
Amazon.com: CD Changer Input Auxiliary Cable for Kenwood Car Stereos: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/Changer-Input-Auxiliary-Kenwood-Stereos/dp/B000EW8BNC)
then connected my ipod with a separate component to rca cable...

but it worked like a charm and wasn't that expensive...
guess it kinda depends on what head unit and the connection options you have available...

Hope that helps....

dvdcatalyst
11-27-2010, 03:23 PM
If your car is old enough to still have a tape player, you could pick up a tape-to-line adapter. You plug the jack plug in your droid, and the tape into the tapedeck, and it will play. I'm using one of those for a Sirius Radio in my old pickup truck. The Sirius tuner has a build-in transmitter, but it sounds a lot better through the tape interface, ad no problems when driving past some factories and such.

renthorin
12-03-2010, 06:12 AM
I purchased and installed the antenna-based one Ryan mentioned. It sounded WAY better than the portable FM ones.
My complaint is there is a hiss during dead silence. Other than that, it was fine. The sound quality was nearly as nice as a direct connect.

Will

B360155
12-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Anybody have any experience with one of these? It has some fairly decent reviews...functions as both a speaker phone and an FM modulator. Retails around $100 but can be had for around $50 or so, in fact you can purchase direct from Motorola with 60% coupon code.

MOTOROKR™ T505 Bluetooth® Speakerphone - 89149N - Overview - Motorola, Inc. USA (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Car-Accessories/Speakerphones/T505-Bluetooth-In-Car-Speakerphone-with-Digital-FM-Transmitter-US-EN-2)

ryant35
12-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Anybody have any experience with one of these? It has some fairly decent reviews...functions as both a speaker phone and an FM modulator. Retails around $100 but can be had for around $50 or so, in fact you can purchase direct from Motorola with 60% coupon code.

MOTOROKR™ T505 Bluetooth® Speakerphone - 89149N - Overview - Motorola, Inc. USA (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Car-Accessories/Speakerphones/T505-Bluetooth-In-Car-Speakerphone-with-Digital-FM-Transmitter-US-EN-2)

As an FM modulator I think it will be too far from the stereo up on the visor.

holydroid
12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I use the Motorola T505 everyday with no problems. It is great for hands free talking and plays the music as good as any
FM Modulator I have used.

bsbabcock
12-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I vote for the replacement head unit if you can. These phones aren't really all that condusive for line-output (analog phono or RCA) to an outboard player (car or home).. And also I suspect but haven't tried that they don't lend themselves well to acting a thumbdrive for USB input head units. Still if it's tunes you want from a storage source, just do an aftermarket head unit, add thumbdrive to the USB input with all kinds of tunes in good quality format... Done.