PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Time to finally root my X

Debacle
11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
But first, I have a few questions. I rooted and installed various ROMs with my Droid I, so I am familiar with what the dangers as well as benefits of rooting will bring. The reason I havent rooted my X before this is I havent really felt the need. Speed is just as god as My D1 was when OCed, and it does most things I want without the need to F up the warranty. But here recently the blur crap and bloat ware has gotten under my skin, I purchased my wife a 3G-less kindle so I could really use the wi-fi tethering during long car trips, and more importantly I just want to tinker with it. SO I have a few questions before I do it this weekend:

I know of the problems people experienced with the DX when the 2.2 OTA came up. I havent been a big part of the community since upgrading from the D1 (reason is above), so i may have missed this. But am I right to assume the upgrade problems have been corrected? Reason I ask is for future updates. We have all heard of Gingerbread, and it is supposedly going to do away with each manufacturers custom crapware interface they put on their phones. Want to ensure I want be screwing myself for future updates.

How hard is it to root the X? I seen the 1 step root, actually had the thing installed on my phone to see if it was compatible, but it wasnt working with 2.2 when I checked last. Does it now? What other methods besides installing the linux console thing are available. The less steps required = less chance to mess it up.

Next, and I know this is entirely dependant upon an individuals opinion, What is the best Blur-less ROM out there? I know of TBH and I think Peter A has one (followers of them on twitter). Are they pretty much bug-free now? I dont want go to to a stable(ish) stock ROM to something buggy. When I had my D1, especially on early ROMS, market updates wouldnt work, periodic reboots would occur and other problems. Want to stay away from that.

Im sure there are several other questions I have, but cant think of them right now. And since I am at work, I probably should do some. Thanks for the help guys (and gals).

jloya
11-04-2010, 04:12 PM
It was my understanding that when going from a rooted 2.1 device to the OTA 2.2 you needed to unroot your phone...load 2.2, then root your phone....I imagine this would be the same with future updates

the X was my first smart phone, rooting it was fairly simple....there are various methods our there avail to use to root...if you need some help feel free to PM me

I have had a decent amount of experience with various ROMS.....Im currently running rubix 1.6 and am very happy....fast, undervolted (better battery life) and the overall feel of the rom is awesome....chevy has also made a SS Rom for the device which has gotton alot of praise as well

Roooler
11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Well for wanting to Root your OTA 2.2 DroidX check this thread out ->http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/10136-rooolers-guide-root-backup-roms-2-2-ota.html :)

As far as whats the best ROM...Well that is a total personal choice.. i am running Apex V1.0 and find it fast and stable.. i dont use any Blur so this was a good choice for me. RubiX is also another good ROM it all really depends on your preference and also how your phone feels like running it.

RoOoLeR

Debacle
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Just read an article on techcrunch where Verizon is about to push an update to the DI that will fix some issues with it, and open up the V-Cast Android store. Also, it will install more bloatware from Verizon that noone wants/needs/cares for. So I figure an update for the DX isnt to far behind.

But back on topic. From my understanding with the X, those who had rooted previous to the OTA were advised NOT to update for a bit due to a compatibility issue? SOmething to do with the bootsrapper or something? Dont really know, wasnt paying much attention at the time.

Roooler
11-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Just read an article on techcrunch where Verizon is about to push an update to the DI that will fix some issues with it, and open up the V-Cast Android store. Also, it will install more bloatware from Verizon that noone wants/needs/cares for. So I figure an update for the DX isnt to far behind.

But back on topic. From my understanding with the X, those who had rooted previous to the OTA were advised NOT to update for a bit due to a compatibility issue? SOmething to do with the bootsrapper or something? Dont really know, wasnt paying much attention at the time.

I might be full of **** here so take it as u want lol.. I rooted my phone when it was 2.1.. and flashed to the leaked version of 2.2. therefore my phone has never had the OTA 2.2 update. Now to my knowledge those who were Rooted prior to 2.2 OTA were advised to unroot or else just update and the update would take Root away.. I could be totally full of it also haha

Debacle
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Okie dokie. I may if I find time today at work to root. I was running BB on my D1. Any ROMs out there similar?

dtsig
11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Well for wanting to Root your OTA 2.2 DroidX check this thread out ->http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/10136-rooolers-guide-root-backup-roms-2-2-ota.html :)

As far as whats the best ROM...Well that is a total personal choice.. i am running Apex V1.0 and find it fast and stable.. i dont use any Blur so this was a good choice for me. RubiX is also another good ROM it all really depends on your preference and also how your phone feels like running it.

RoOoLeR
RoOoler ...
I had problems with this method and maybe you can help ... when i try to install the .net framwork i keep getting 'use control panel to turn on/off features'. I set all 3 options on (and off) rebooted and tried again but always get the same message during the install. Running on a vista 64 (and tried vista 32). I know this isn't your issue but you might have some ideas ...

dtsig
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
RoOoler ...
I had problems with this method and maybe you can help ... when i try to install the .net framwork i keep getting 'use control panel to turn on/off features'. I set all 3 options on (and off) rebooted and tried again but always get the same message during the install. Running on a vista 64 (and tried vista 32). I know this isn't your issue but you might have some ideas ...
Turns out that it wont install because it is already updated ... nothing to do with windows message <sigh> ... i hate windows. All working now and rooted. Now have to find a good backup process. thanks for you directions