PDA

View Full Version : Viewsonic 10.1" ViewPad 10 Android OS 2.2 At Sears NOW

Garemlin
11-02-2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.androidtablets.net/img/viewsonic-viewpad-sears-available.jpg

As reported by our sister sites DroidForums.net (http://www.droidforums.net/) and AndroidTablets.net (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/):

Just a week before the official Samsung Galaxy Tab launch, Viewsonic has surprised us with a release of their own. AndroidTablets.net (http://www.androidtablets.net/) is reporting that Sears has the Viewsonic 10.1" Nvidia Teagra 2 tablets available to order for only $379! With a price tag more then $200 lower then the Galaxy Tab, it could definitely have an impact on first day Galaxy sales. As an added plus, some Sears stores actually have the unit in stock right now... so call your local Sears store and check availability.

Compare this specs between the two units and this one might just win you over:

NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual ARM cortex (1Ghz) Capacitive Multi-Touch/Multi Tasking panel 10.11024 X 600 TFI LCD Screen Mass Memory 16 GB Mini USB x 1; Full size USB x 1 1.3MP Front acing Webcam Earphone x 1 Micro SD card slot 2 x 1 W speaker Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n G sensor/Light sensor Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR 3500mAh/7.4V Li-polymer Battery Life 8-10 Hours Slim design (267 x 173 x 14.3mm) Wt. 820 Grams Buttons: Home/Back/Menu/Volume/Power OS / Android 2.2 Headphone Jack Built in Microphone.

Martin030908
11-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I think I this was posted on DF earlier.... reason I mentioned is because someone said they were already sold out!

smalltowngirl13
11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I just checked my local store - one left...LOL

Martin030908
11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
It's a great price, but even Google admits that until at least GB that the OS is not built with a tablet in mind... I'll wait til they release tablets with a tablet friendly OS :)

smalltowngirl13
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I will let you know tomorrow LOL...I am picking up the last one from the local Sears store then :)...

Martin030908
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I will let you know tomorrow LOL...I am picking up the last one from the local Sears store then :)...
Def let me know how it is... but Google has said they haven't built an OS for a tablet yet... (well at least not til GB)

I'm curious to see what limitations it will actually have... gTalk me to gloat about your new device :)

smalltowngirl13
11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Def let me know how it is... but Google has said they haven't built an OS for a tablet yet... (well at least not til GB)

I'm curious to see what limitations it will actually have... gTalk me to gloat about your new device :)

Wow gTalk ;)... I like that...yea, I am excited...I was just bragging to Miami that I was getting one...I wanted the Galaxy but my patience (lack of), got the best of me and who knows what I will do next week :)...

Martin030908
11-02-2010, 09:48 PM
It's cheaper than the Galaxy Tab... so you can save up and just get the next one out too :)

oh yea, gTalk is attempt at seduction! lol

smalltowngirl13
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I played with the Galaxy Tab when I was in Austin at the BBQ - it was nice...I think it is only a 7 inch screen but it was smooth...

I will leave my gTalk comments for tomorrow when I msg ya on the tablet :)...LOL

Martin030908
11-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I played with the Galaxy Tab when I was in Austin at the BBQ - it was nice...I think it is only a 7 inch screen but it was smooth...

I will leave my gTalk comments for tomorrow when I msg ya on the tablet :)...LOL
Ya ya :)

I'm waiting for a new phone... my D1 is starting to show it's age performance wise since I'm almost out of app memory... keep finding new apps to use (heck, it's been a year) :(

oh and I need a new flat screen so I can't validate buying a tablet right now :(

whoa is me! lol

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Ya ya :)

I'm waiting for a new phone... my D1 is starting to show it's age performance wise since I'm almost out of app memory... keep finding new apps to use (heck, it's been a year) :(

oh and I need a new flat screen so I can't validate buying a tablet right now :(

whoa is me! lol

Considering that new Incredible HD at all??? That one I gotta admit has me curious.

Oh and please do let us know all about that Tablet STG. It is tempting at that price.

Jaxidian
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Nice!

Martin030908
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Considering that new Incredible HD at all??? That one I gotta admit has me curious.

Oh and please do let us know all about that Tablet STG. It is tempting at that price.

Nah not really considering the Incredible HD. I mean it looks slick.... but I won't buy a device at 1Ghz because I already have a device running at that... I need more power.... Tim Taylor style...

which reminds me, when will Binford release their Android phone? :)

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Well after spending sometime with this tablet today - it is cool...it runs smooth and the screensize is nice...it is no X tho :)...there are a few things I need to add to it yet - so that is part of my plan this evening...but overall, for the price it wasn't a bad investment ;)...

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Well after spending sometime with this tablet today - it is cool...it runs smooth and the screensize is nice...it is no X tho :)...there are a few things I need to add to it yet - so that is part of my plan this evening...but overall, for the price it wasn't a bad investment ;)...

I just read it doesn't have the market app. True???

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I just read it doesn't have the market app. True???

That is true - however, I am searching for the .apk to download to see if I can then get "market apps" - otherwise, I can download from slideme.org but it does not have all of the apps from the market...

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Hows about some pics. Maybe one next to your X for a little size comparison. Yeah I know needy little cuss ain't I??? LOL

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Nah not really considering the Incredible HD. I mean it looks slick.... but I won't buy a device at 1Ghz because I already have a device running at that... I need more power.... Tim Taylor style...

which reminds me, when will Binford release their Android phone? :)

So you are waiting for the 2Ghz beasts huh???

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Hows about some pics. Maybe one next to your X for a little size comparison. Yeah I know needy little cuss ain't I??? LOL

Sure - i will have to take them with my *cough* blackberry *cough*...LOL :)

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Sure - i will have to take them with my *cough* blackberry *cough*...LOL :)

Oh c'mon. You don't own a digital camera????

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Oh c'mon. You don't own a digital camera????

Yes LOL but not when I am travelling...

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Yes LOL but not when I am travelling...

Ahh gotcha. Guess pics from a blueberry will have to do.

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 09:17 PM

These are of the tablet next to the X and then the tablet in landscape and portrait mode.

These are the box...
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/images/Eloquent/misc/pencil.png

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Interesting. Bigger than I thought it would be. So it's usefulness is pretty much a wifi net browser???

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes - it is nice...finding the market .apk is proving more difficult than I imagined...so I think I will have to go with appbrain.com :)...I still want the Galaxy by Samsung - it is 7in which will be smaller than this...

Garemlin
11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
So you are gonna have both????

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
We will see what next week brings...I know that I can get rid of this one if I go with the Galaxy...so I will play with this and see where it gets me...

bobthebob
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
how's the battery life?
how is it as an e-book reader?
how's it look in sunshine?
what's the deal with no Market app?
is it Side-loading only?
that would be bogus.

smalltowngirl13
11-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Battery life is expected to be 8-10 hours - I have not fully tested it...
Have not tested as an ebook reader but there was a good pic on the box that displays that possibility...
Have not used in sunshine either - will do that tomorrow and report back :)...
I wish I knew on the "no market app" - I am working on a work around now...it can be added (found a thread to root and install - but have not taken that plunge completely)...
I do not understand your question on "side loading" only?

MrCapcom
11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
So do you really think its worth getting? I was looking at this over the Galaxy for the price tag and because its 10 inches. Is there like a dev community for it yet? I want to pick it up black friday but trying to wait lol

Garemlin
11-12-2010, 08:07 PM
So do you really think its worth getting? I was looking at this over the Galaxy for the price tag and because its 10 inches. Is there like a dev community for it yet? I want to pick it up black friday but trying to wait lol

It has been rooted.

The Viewsonic G Tablet Super Thread (w/Market, Gmail, and Maps!) - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=827209)

Rest assure almost every device released will have some sort of hacking/development crew working on it. I mean they took the time to root the Moto Backflip after all. LOL

smalltowngirl13
11-12-2010, 08:28 PM

I have both - I picked up the Galaxy yesterday on release...the Galaxy is way more refined and smooth. It has the full market and it is also rooted. The Viewsonic is also rooted (I used the link that Garemlin posted) - however, you have to install the Google Apps which include the Market and it is not a full market - quite a few apps are missing. Someone had mentioned in the thread that they had tried a market fix (also located on XDA) - I did not attempt this as there was mixed reviews. The 10 in is nice for web-browsing and I think it would be a nice e-reader. However, I see me getting more use out the Galaxy personally...

One other notation...the Galaxy is 3G and WiFi and the Viewsonic is WiFi only...