PDA

View Full Version : Hiding history of root from Verizon. HELP!

fused2explod
10-28-2010, 10:26 AM
A little background:
I let someone borrow my droid x for the week I was in the mountains, when I had gotten back it was bricked. Not a complete brick, but basically trying to charge battery yields invalid battery error, until eventually the battery dies and from that point the phone will bootloop. Period. I've tried flashing sbf 2.2 three times, 2.1 a couple, wipe cache, factory resets, everything. And in all possibilities of order.

Question:
I know verizon will replace the phone for me. Here's the catch; its been rooted. Assumming I cannot un-root it (phone must be plugged in to wall charger at all times to even get past a boot animation), what would give away the fact that I rooted it? Anything on the "About Phone" screen or would they have to dive a little deeper? I need to make sure they don't find out about the root. Ideas suggestions comments welcome. Btw, I am an experienced user I have tried just about everything I can think of to fix the issue myself. I'm not just trying to get a new phone :-(

Thanks,

F2E
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Droid-Xer
10-28-2010, 11:31 AM
If you're sending it in, no worries. Verizon mails you the shell of the phone (nobattery or memory card) and you use your sd and battery. Verizon doesn't check for root. They get the junked phones and either toss them or flash them like brand new and resell them as refurbished. This happened to me. I was unable to get rid of the super user icon and nothing was done.

zyc_hot
10-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Just take it to verizon, they don't check whether you rooted it or not

...My phone had a touch screen issue, I just took it in without resetting anything. My phone was rooted running Flyx at the time and I had my own theme on it...I showed them the problem and they just gave me a new phone...I didn't want them to have my personal information, so I did a factory wipe in the store while they were doing the paper work for the replacement....

rjizle4shizl
10-28-2010, 06:55 PM
From my experience, the employees at the Verizon stores know less about the phones than anyone who knows enough to root. If the person sitting at the desk pushes the power button, and nothing happens, it is very likely that they will give you a replacement.

pissedoffwookie
10-28-2010, 08:29 PM
had a d1 go bad and had a vzw rep recognize spare parts and claimed my phone was rooted was going to squeal to the manager.......funny thing is it wasn't rooted at the time I had put it back to factory fresh with the SBF just before walking in there

theidoctor
10-28-2010, 08:36 PM
i would have said sbf... but if it works for these guys, i say just give it to them. The most they can say is no.

Firedawg24
10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
I had the same problem with my battery, I took it to the store and they replaced the battery for free under warranty.

fused2explod
10-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah the battery isn't the issue, we tried 4 different batteries at 3 different stores. I got them to replace it over the phone... But its weak they're sending me one of those certified pre-used things, but assured me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Yeah right. I'll send that crap back if I can tell its been used. Supposed to come in today so I'll let you know soon enough.

F2E