PDA

View Full Version : Overclocker by Unstable Apps vs. Overclock by JRummy16 (pros and cons?)

RedBank
10-24-2010, 06:51 PM
So now we have three apps to overclock our beloved X.

I'm somewhat of a n00b considering I just got root...so this question goes to those who have used either app on their X.

I'm ready to purchase one of these apps...just not sure if one has more advantages or disadvantages than the other.

My goal is to achieve a slight speed increase with a more efficient battery (although it does quite well as is).

Anybody care to share their likes/dislikes of each app if you have used it?

Overclocker (http://www.appbrain.com/app/dx-d2-overclocker/com.unstableapps.dxoverclocker) by Unstable Apps
Pros:
Cons:

Overclock (http://www.appbrain.com/app/droid-x-2-overclock/com.jrummy.droidx.overclock) by Jrummy16
Pros:
Cons:

SetCPU (http://www.appbrain.com/app/setcpu-for-root-users/com.mhuang.overclocking) by MichaelHuang
Pros:
Cons:

X-tac23
10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I use setcpu best one out imo! Haven't tried anything else.

psychotic_penguin
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
So now we have two .99 apps to overclock our beloved X.

I'm somewhat of a n00b considering I just got root...so this question goes to those who have used either app (or both) on their X.

I'm ready to purchase one of these apps...just not sure if one has more advantages or disadvantages than the other...

My goal is to achieve a slight speed increase with a more efficient battery (although it does quite well as is).

Anybody care to share their likes/dislikes of each app if you have used it?

Both do the same thing in reality, at this point JRummy's app offers a few more "customizable" options and has a bit nicer UI.

I use setcpu best one out imo! Haven't tried anything else.

SetCPU allows you to underclock, you'll need one of the above mentioned apps to overclock your phone past 1.0. After you overclock it then it can be adjusted with SetCPU.

minderasr
10-24-2010, 08:17 PM
SetCPU allows you to underclock, you'll need one of the above mentioned apps to overclock your phone past 1.0. After you overclock it then it can be adjusted with SetCPU.

I don't understand. You overclock with one of the other apps, then underclock with SetCPU?

mechrock
10-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm using the one from Unstable apps.

All i'm doing is undervolting.
These are my settings right now. I'm trying to go as low as possible so it might take a while to test.
300mhz 24vsel
600mhz 34vsel
800mhz 45vsel
1000mhz 49vsel

From what I can tell...
You can do custom settings. You can have 4 clocks with different voltages at each clock.

Also you can have profiles so say general use you want undervolted to save power, but you decide you want to play some psx4droid so you need to overclock.
I'm sure you can do this with the other as well, but I'm not sure as easy as this.

riceman
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
you use the upper to to set the overclock then you use setcpu to adjust and set profiles
the jrummy one is better i think but the unstable apps one is better at setting custom voltages
so you might want both

Droid-Xer
10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
I preferred jrummys. I tried out both and his was just easier to use and foolproof. And you will need setCPU for either one. SetCPU allows you to adjust the speed of the cpu on demand.

kk4df
10-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I prefer Unstable Apps, since it easily lets me tweak the voltages individually. I'm currently running the 300Mhz clock with vsel at 19. Battery life is getting really good.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

daali
10-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm using the one from Unstable apps.

All i'm doing is undervolting.
These are my settings right now. I'm trying to go as low as possible so it might take a while to test.
300mhz 24vsel
600mhz 34vsel
800mhz 45vsel
1000mhz 49vsel

From what I can tell...
You can do custom settings. You can have 4 clocks with different voltages at each clock.

Also you can have profiles so say general use you want undervolted to save power, but you decide you want to play some psx4droid so you need to overclock.
I'm sure you can do this with the other as well, but I'm not sure as easy as this.

+1. I bought them both to support each dev. I tinkered with them, but in the end I use Gscript via the manual method. I have 1 script I click to instmod the module, and then various other scripts( undervolt-stock, 1.25 stock volt, 1.30 over) that I can run. After tinkering and getting the feel of my phone, I mainly run 1GHz, very low voltage(see my sig)

I also run a couple profiles in SetCPU (screen off = 300Mhz, battery temp >45C = 300Mhz, Battery < 10% =300Mhz)
Battery life has improved.

jefflikesbagels
10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I actually prefer the good ol' setscaling.sh editing via a text editor. You're essentially doing the same thing, just a little more dirty work. You could even create a script that will copy the setscaling from your sdcard straight to your xbin folder if you wanted to.

mechrock
10-27-2010, 09:55 AM
So now after much testing I have these settings for general use. I'm using the Unstable Apps overclocker.
I'm still testing so I might be able to get things lower.
It's odd that at 18vsel 300mhz does not pass quad, but I have not had it crash so does not matter to me.
300mhz 18vsel
400mhz 25vsel
500mhz 33vsel
800mhz 40vsel

I find 800mhz the same as 1ghz when running normal apps. Have not done much web browsing, but I use Skyfire so it should not be slower, or much slower.
I would run 1ghz at 49vsel, but there is no need when 800mhz works fine.

When I need the extra speed I will overclock to 1.2 or 1.3. I have not tested those as much, but I should only need those when running psx4droid or other intensive apps.

two250
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't understand. You overclock with one of the other apps, then underclock with SetCPU?
SetCPU can't overclock by itself. You can use it to manage the clocking and make different profiles. For example I set my clocking using JRummy's app, then I use SetCPU to manage it.

Airmaxx23
10-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Cons....

TommyV
10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I tried 1.2 on Overclocker and it froze up. I'm trying 1.1 now.

FreeWELL
10-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Neither...

Neither applications "overclock" your phone. They pass frequency and voltage parameters to a kernel module(which actually changes the settings at the hardware level) which is the intellectual property of Milestone Overclock by Tiago Sousa (http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/), and is distributed under a GPL license.

Milestone Overclock is available freely from the Android Marketplace, and is the real reason anyone is overclocking right now. Support Tiago, and donate to him. Hopefully he'll be able to get a Droid 2 World Edition or something, and be able to support DX/D2 more closely.

mechrock
10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
300mhz 18vsel
400mhz 25vsel
500mhz 33vsel
800mhz 40vsel

With those I have 50% battery left after 14 hours.
Decent use through out the day.

TommyV
10-28-2010, 01:19 AM
FYI, max 1100 min 400 is working fine. Not sure how much faster it is.....

kk4df
10-28-2010, 04:18 AM
I'm more interested in undervolting for longer battery life than speed. Nice improvement when running 300 at 19 vsel for me.

MDX
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I think i might be lucky.... I'm running the rubiX focused 1.0 and the unstable apps @ 300-800ghz on low voltage and get a constant quadrant of 1500 ish..... yay!

mechrock
10-28-2010, 01:35 PM
With a vsel of 15 for 300mhz it appears to be stable. I was running for 6 hours and just turned to 80%.

armyjeffries
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Neither...

Neither applications "overclock" your phone. They pass frequency and voltage parameters to a kernel module(which actually changes the settings at the hardware level) which is the intellectual property of Milestone Overclock by Tiago Sousa (http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclock/), and is distributed under a GPL license.

Milestone Overclock is available freely from the Android Marketplace, and is the real reason anyone is overclocking right now. Support Tiago, and donate to him. Hopefully he'll be able to get a Droid 2 World Edition or something, and be able to support DX/D2 more closely.

I checked this app out. On market it says that you have to have stock ROM. Can anyone verify this, and the other "overclock" apps DO work with other ROMs, right?

FreeWELL
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
I checked this app out. On market it says that you have to have stock ROM. Can anyone verify this, and the other "overclock" apps DO work with other ROMs, right?

It does work with other ROMs... I've heard Apex 1.0 works. It's not whether it works, because the kernel modules should work with any DX/D2... It is whether the build.prop in the ROM you're running is modified to a point that the app can't recognize what model it is, and load the proper kernel module.

Give it a whirl...

pimpannara
11-03-2010, 12:08 AM
how long should i run a stress test on Unstable Apps Overclocker for typically ?

pimpannara
11-03-2010, 01:35 AM
siiigh i keep trying to undervolt but itll always freeze up :[

Pensacola32526
11-05-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't understand. You overclock with one of the other apps, then underclock with SetCPU? LOL, I'm reading this discussion and I just started laughing out loud because it made me go WTF too. You overclock, then underclock???? What's next, then bake some cookies and put the phone in the toaster? lol However, I had the same question you posed. I rooted recently, put Rubix 1.6 ROM, and now trying to play with SetCPU...

mechrock
11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
LOL, I'm reading this discussion and I just started laughing out loud because it made me go WTF too. You overclock, then underclock???? What's next, then bake some cookies and put the phone in the toaster? lol However, I had the same question you posed. I rooted recently, put Rubix 1.6 ROM, and now trying to play with SetCPU...

The reason they want to to underclock is so that it saves battery life. They have it set like this.... Example...

At 100% battery you are running at 1.3ghz...
At 50% it goes down to say 1ghz
At 30% it goes to 500mhz
At 15% it goes to 300mhz

I actually keep my phone underclocked at 800mhz.
When I need to be faster I go up to 1.15 since I think I have an unlucky phone and won't go any higher.

elkay
11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I actually prefer the good ol' setscaling.sh editing via a text editor. You're essentially doing the same thing, just a little more dirty work. You could even create a script that will copy the setscaling from your sdcard straight to your xbin folder if you wanted to.

Glad to see someone still uses it. :-)

Jolly
11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
I tried both I have to say JRummy's app is the best of the two IMO. I'm stable at 1.35ghz no issues what so ever and 1700's on the Quadrant my highest is 1791. Also his app has a lot of extras in it similar to root tools.

Sent from my DROIDX

dennyjones
11-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I've used both OC apps and JRummy's app is more stable with my phone. He is very responsive with updates and fixes. Strongly recommend.

mechrock
11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Does anyone know what voltages jRummy's are at when it says normal, LV, ULV?

Pensacola32526
11-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know what voltages jRummy's are at when it says normal, LV, ULV?
Good question, I'm interested to know...

Show
11-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I paid for jrummys app... and set CPU. And I can not clock this phone over 1.2 just doesn't happen. Before I over clocked and I was running rubix 0.5 I had a 1500 quadrant. But blah.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

bcals0087
11-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Good question, I'm interested to know...

If you go into the help/about section of jrummy's app, it gives you a list of the medium presets that are loaded in the app. It also states that low is the value of the vsel subtracted by 2, ultra low subtracted by 4 and high voltage added by 2.