PDA

View Full Version : Car mount recommendations please

BAKDROIDX
10-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Im looking for a good solid car mount for my droid x.
Dash board pad or window mount?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

bsbabcock
10-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I was just about to recommend the air-vent clip generic I'm using, but may not comply to your two mount-type requirements. But I can at least offer that the actual motorola mount, if your windshield angle permits decent mounting, would be fine.. But, it's not necessary for the car-dock if that's a concern over a 'generic'. I went with a generic air-vent mount with the button actuated "squeezey" side-holders that 'pinch' the phone left and right and works fine.. The car-dock in the phone does NOT require the motorola mount and can be kicked on just by an icon on the home screen. This mount I got right at the verizon store and it has an extension option and a hard-mount adhesive option as well.

Saw some vid somewhere of a guy who tapped into his 2-din screen I guess with the HDMI out of the phone and there ya go.. Instant car-PC. Now that's how to rock! :) Not much help but interesting for car-goodies enthusiasts.

KEichman
10-24-2010, 03:39 PM
For my birthday, Dh got me the Verizon car mount... by slipping off the back mount piece, it fits perfectly on my Garmin bean bag mount and sets securely on the dash when I want it there, and drowsy easily on the floor when I don't want to advertise that I have pricey electronics on board.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mikenmel08
10-24-2010, 04:22 PM
The Motorola car dock works great for me.Make sure you clean the glass where you are going to stick it really well though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gtriever
10-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Look no further than the Motorola Car Dock. The best price I found for the complete kit (with charger and audio cable included) was $34.99 at Newegg. Search for MOTOROLA 89432N.

ToeJamm57
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Bear in mind that you cannot use the Motorola Car Mount if you have any type of form-fitting case on your DX. For this reason I did not get the mount. It will only work with a naked DX.
Most people seem to like the air vent mounts because it keeps the DX out of the sun. The battery will stop charging when it reaches a certain temperature and this presents a problem for people using navigation. Once the DX heats up the car charger will not keep your battery charged. Having a vent mount keeps your phone nice and cool.

iresq
10-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Having tried a few, I use a universal vent mount from radio shack. $20. What I like best about this mount is that it uses springs to hold the mount to the vent. I have tried the other clip mounts with little success.

Sent from my Droid X

ToeJamm57
10-25-2010, 08:37 AM
iresq - I will have to take a look at that one. I've avoided the vent mounts for the reason you mention. I've found the clips to be fragile and unreliable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Having tried a few, I use a universal vent mount from radio shack. $20. What I like best about this mount is that it uses springs to hold the mount to the vent. I have tried the other clip mounts with little success.

Sent from my Droid X

Cigator
10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I am using the vent mount from Tetrax. It works well

ryant35
10-25-2010, 10:35 AM
So that magnet sticks to the back of the phone and holds it? So I guess it also puts it in car dock mode too?

ToeJamm57
10-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't think this mount would work with any of the form-fit cases. Not certain about this but I bet the phone would need to be naked.

So that magnet sticks to the back of the phone and holds it? So I guess it also puts it in car dock mode too?

iresq
10-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Here (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3616632) is the mount I got from Radio Shack. It works great. The only downside is that it looks to be a bit of a PIA to remove, so if you were looking for something to quickly switch between vehicles, it probably is not the mount for you.