PDA

View Full Version : Help me design my idea for an awesome accessory.

Cheaptoad
10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't know about you, but I like to watch videos on my DX. Most times I'm sitting (not at a desk) maybe in a chair or in bed. The arm gets very tired very fast. My idea is to somehow make a handsfree viewer.

I was thinking of using a harmominca holder at first. But I think a better concept is some how making a clipon that will work on a baseball cap. We could use an existing clip on case and light mount for the hat. It would also need to be depth adjustable.

I know they have clip-on lights for hats, even clip-on mounts for a camera. They may be too heavy. How about using a clip (or 2) from reading lights or hardware stores have clips.

What do you think.

Ideas or drawings would be great

TIA

CT

Jaxidian
10-22-2010, 02:16 PM
You need it much further from your face than this unless you want to go cross-eyed and blind. Consider that. :)

Cheaptoad
10-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Agreed

And adjustable

It can be a permanent mount. It's not like I'm going out with this thing.

How about something like a telescoping alligator clip

Jawcase
10-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I know I am also making a hands free case stand thingy but don't consider me biased in anyway, lol. I have seen a couple baseball caps with curtains around the side to block out the light and a screen that was designed to work that close to the eye. A telescoping arm will no doubt add alot of torque to the cap causing it to want to fall forward off your face. It might be alright if you have the cap on tight enough, but then you'll definitely have a big red band around your head when you finally took your cap off, not to mention how uncomfortable it is. Probably would need to reinforce the brim of the cap to ensure it does not cave in. There is a health concern regarding how far away the phone is, if you couldn't get it far enough away you'll be training someones eyes to be nearsighted.

One thing about having a hands free viewing device for the phone, wouldn't it be more practical in public situations. I mean when your in "privacy" you normally have a TV, Computer, entertainment device handy. And if your around your house and needed a hands free stand for your phone your probably doing something like cooking and would need to use your eyes to look for ingredients and the like. It might be an idea to design a device for when your in public as I think their would be more of a customer base.

Have you ever thought about simply designing an artsy looking phone stand. I saw one on Droid Life the other day, it was quite popular, I'm sure there is a lot of room in the market for stylish stands, I don't believe the DX has any stylish stands apart from the one I mentioned.

Anyway, if it looks awesome, someone will buy it.

greevedogg
10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Go get a piece of poster board, cut it, tape it, spray paint it black and VOILA!!!

Actually, instead of regular spray paint, I used Plasti-Dip...it gives it a grippy texture.
This was a CHEAP alternative to the multimedia dock...