PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: CRYSTAL SKIN TPU HARD GEL CASE from eBay

flipnduc
07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
FIRST OFF: I am in no way associated with this seller, I am just a buyer who wanted to post a review of the case I purchased from this ebay store.

Bought this case from ebay for 7.95 shipped.

Got it from here:

SMOKE CHECK Crystal Skin TPU Gel Case Motorola Droid X - eBay (item 280534824271 end time Aug-13-10 16:12:19 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/SMOKE-CHECK-Crystal-Skin-TPU-Gel-Case-Motorola-Droid-X-/280534824271?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item41512db54f)

Seller is here in the US, and ships quickly.

I purchased it Friday morning, and it arrived at my desk Monday afternoon via USPS. (shipped out of CA, destination is Washington DC).

I know they have the same cases(well appear the same on ebay for less, but from China...i dont care to save 2-3 dollars and wait 10 days.)

The fit is 100% perfect. It covers all the side buttons, but does not cover the charging nor HDMI port.

Doesnt feel bulky in my pocket. I just returned the Kickstand Case from Verizon...too bulky for me, and the leather seems cheaply made.

It looks like it would offer good protection in the event of a drop.

Ok, thanks for listening...just wanted to give my 2 cents...

http://img1.jpegbay.com/gallery/000603785/1_f.jpghttp://img1.jpegbay.com/gallery/000603785/2_f.jpg

gardobus
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Damn, I might just take the one back that I bought at Verizon. It is a hard case that I bought just to hold me over until Seidio/Otterbox release a beast. That one is cheaper and I like the idea that I can take it off fairly easy, unlike this snap on one.

gardobus
07-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh, quick question, how "grippy" is it? Sticky enough to pull your pocket out? Does it attract lint?

InfamousDX
07-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Picked one up yesterday bc of this post... hopefully it arrives before the weekend.

flipnduc
07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh, quick question, how "grippy" is it? Sticky enough to pull your pocket out? Does it attract lint?

its not super grippy. i havent had any problems with it falling out of my jeans or khakis. sticky enough it wont cling to your pockets when you take it out.

It attracts zero lint.

gardobus
07-20-2010, 11:53 AM
zero lint, not super sticky, sounds like win to me.

Gonna take back this $20 so-so case and get the $9 case that I can pop on/off with ease.

Thanks!

didiwags
07-21-2010, 12:38 AM
I actually just bought a similer case on ebay but in pink ;) Cannot wait for it to arrive! I bought another case off of ebay and it is to bulky!!

LowNSlow
07-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I got this case this afternoon. It's actually not that bad. I'm impressed for only paying $8. It has the right amount of grip but still smooth at the same time. I don't see this being a lint magnet and SHOULD slide in and out of my pockets without any problems.
It doesn't appear to add any more bulk to the phone. The cutouts are pretty much perfect except for speaker on the back. I guess they planed on Motorola making the speaker longer.
The case fits just right. Not super snug or too loose. Put it this way, there is no slop in the fitment.

gardobus
07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
That sounds promising, I finally got around to ordering mine yesterday.

LowNSlow
07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I ordered a similar case from Amzer on eBay as well. I'll give a comparison review when it comes in. It was about $8 shipped as well.

InfamousDX
07-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Mine came in the other day and I like it. The fit is actually PERFECT. No space on the borders/sides which was my main concern. Would def. recommend it.

gardobus
07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I ordered mine Thursday and it showed up Saturday. I ordered mine from "pawavenue". Quick shipping, $8 w/ free shipping, case fits the phone perfectly, it was packaged well, etc.

I am so glad I bought this case. I think it is perfect. The rubber has a bit of grip to it but its smooth and slides in/out of pockets with no problems. It is also nice because it isn't as bulky as other cases or as sticky as most "thin" cases.

The only issue I noticed is that the image that pawavenue shows has a small slit for the speaker and a small circle for the mic. However the actual case has a big cut out that extends to the right of the speaker/mic (like a lot of cases do, they made room for the hole that was on leaked pictures). This isn't a deal breaker or anything, it just isn't what was pictured.

Thanks for the recommendation, I am so glad I bought it.

BTW here are the pics I posted in another case thread. This is what is pictured:

http://img1.jpegbay.com/gallery/000603785/2_f.jpg

and this is what I got (but in smoked color like i ordered):

http://img1.jpegbay.com/gallery/000608841/1_m.jpg

So that is about it, the hole on the back is just a little larger.

flipnduc
07-26-2010, 11:25 AM
mine didnt come with a huge hole int he back like that. mine came exactly as pictured...maybe you can email them back and try to get them to send you the correct one?

gardobus
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I might do that if you got the right one. Did you order from "pawavenue" or someone else?

flipnduc
07-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I might do that if you got the right one. Did you order from "pawavenue" or someone else?

def ordered from pawavenue on 07/15/2010

gardobus
07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Sweet, well I just emailed them. Hopefully I can get a replacement because I really like how the other one covers so much of the phone.

InfamousDX
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh I thought they all had the large speaker hole. I may try emailing as I bought from pawavenue as well.

flipnduc
07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
hope they replace it...it is a very nice case for the price. i was at the VZW store the other day and the sales guy was like...where did you get that? I told them ebay...8 bux shipped. He had this WTF look on his face. :confused:

gardobus
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
LOL yeah I returned my $20 vzw case after I got this one. Even if they don't replace it with a "small speaker hole" version, I'll be keeping it and possibly ordering a red one in the future.

obokky
07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the review - and to all who chimed in. Had the DX without a case for the past ten days now, so I just ordered one of these based upon on the testimonials.

davescarp
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
is there any chance this is slim enough to fit the car dock? hope so...

flipnduc
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
is there any chance this is slim enough to fit the car dock? hope so...

nope, i tried that already.

i ended up getting a universal vent bracket that was listed somewhere else on this site.

works perfectly...no need to take off the case. I also taped a small magnet to the holder, so when i mount my DX, it goes into the Car Dock mode.

gardobus
07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
The only reason I wish it would fit the factory dock is the built in charger, I'm such as lazy a$$ to plug in the charger every time LOL

gardobus
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Just wanted to say that I contacted the seller about getting the case with the small speaker/mic cutouts instead of the massive hole and they just shipped me one for free! Two cases for $8! lol

Will definitely buy from these guys again. Already recommended them to my friend with an Incredible who loved my TPU case.

The seller I used was "pawavenue" on eBay.

flipnduc
07-28-2010, 01:22 PM
thats awesome!! great seller IMO!

gardobus
07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Agreed 100%

shatter
07-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I didn't see this on his store but does he sell one without the pattern on it? Seems like the gel cases all have that diamond pattern on them.

Thanks

gardobus
07-28-2010, 03:39 PM
I couldn't find a plain one for the X. But the pattern is barely visible with the Smoked color. You can only really see it on the clearer bright colors. It is very subtle on my case.

xximanoobxx
07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I think the one with the tiny holes is the Amzer one.

its_just_aj
07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
awesome review! gonna get one myself till the otterbox comes out!

smiley68
07-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Yea i got one just like this but green. Honestly it beats all other silicone cases i have had. Its a much more tougher style. Not flemsy not to sticky, fits perfect and very clean.

There are some on ebay that has a big square cut out around the speaker this one isn't like that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

davescarp
07-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Yea i got one just like this but green. Honestly it beats all other silicone cases i have had. Its a much more tougher style. Not flemsy not to sticky, fits perfect and very clean.

There are some on ebay that has a big square cut out around the speaker this one isn't like that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

got mine today. I emailed the seller (pawavenue) and asked for the one w/ the narrow slit for the mic and a day later it arrived. fits perfect. great bargain!

gardobus
07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm really not sure which case I like better lol. The first one with the huge speaker hole has better access for the headphone jack and the buttons are easier to press. The other one has nicer cutout for the speaker, seems to fit the phone a little better, but it seems really hard to press the buttons most the time.

ajc2892
08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Here's my review thing. Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JqO07FDAXY

gixxer1kdaddy
08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
passed this on to the wife, wait and see if she likes it.

offspringfan23
08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I heard on the Amzer argyle case that the camera and volume buttons were hard to press with the case, how is it with this one? I want to get something to tide me over until the otterbox comes out

gardobus
08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I was sent two cases by pawavenue. The first one had the big speaker hole like seen in the video. That one has easy to press buttons and a larger smoothed hole for the headphones. The second one I got has the nicer rear speaker hole but the headphone hole is too small (larger headphones won't fit) and the buttons are very hard to press. So both have pros and cons. Neither were official Amzer cases though. Both came in the exact same packaging (seen in the video).

Also, in the video he says that it is Smoked but that is the Clear version, NOT the Smoked. Mine is smoked and it is quite a bit darker.

jdsabin1
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Got mine today too. What a bargain. GREAT case, fits nice, looks good.

ajc2892
08-05-2010, 01:42 AM
I see, I had ordered the Smoked version, but I guess I had received the Clear one. However, how did you contact pawavenue? I sent him a message, but I got no reply back. I would like the case with the smaller speaker hole.

gardobus
08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I logged into my ebay account, found the auction, sent him a message there, and he didn't reply for a few days. When he did, he responded with the tracking number of the new case. :D

flipnduc
08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
UPDATE:

I dropped my DX from about 4 ft to the asphalt on accident.

I looked at the phone..no damage done. The case absorbed the impact from the fall. Best $8 spent on the phone so far!!

gardobus
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah a couple of my corners have some marks on them that make me extremely happy that I bought the case.

biggerd
08-15-2010, 12:08 AM
So this case wil help for the minor abuse that my phones tend to go through

gardobus
08-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Yeah I've dropped mine a few times and the phone looks brand new when I take the case off. And the case took the hits well too, it has a couple small scratches but you have to look close. Best $8 I've ever spent.

omnicious
08-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Since it covers the camera, power, and volume buttons is it hard to press?

gardobus
08-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Well I received one with a big speaker hole and one with a small speaker hole like pictured. The one with the big hole has really easy to press buttons, the other one is hard to press.

DKrazyKracker32
08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm glad i caught this review. I had meant to order two silicone cases from amazon but luckily only ordered one. After reading this i ordered an amzer tpu case and let my uncle have the cheapo silicone case.
As everyone said the fit is great and i feel much safer knowing my X is protected.

labongio
09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Specifically which case did your order. Is it a crystal skin, gel skin, or what? I'm thinking the one with the big speaker hole would be easier to operate.

gardobus
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Just search for "Droid X TPU" on ebay or amazon and you'll find some. Different sellers call them cases/skins/gel/crystal/etc but the material is TPU.

sparks
09-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Bought this case and it fits great. Cutouts for all the buttons. Ordered on Tuesday arrived on Friday. Seems like a good deal for under $4.
Smoke Gray Argyle Soft Skin Case Motorola Droid X - NEW - eBay (item 290468800711 end time Sep-26-10 11:06:54 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Smoke-Gray-Argyle-Soft-Skin-Case-Motorola-Droid-X-NEW-/290468800711?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item43a14a28c7)

breakingbeef
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for reviewing this case guys. I just bought one from "pawavenue" on ebay. I got a seidio case last week that i am NOT happy with, and i am returning it to Amazon.com tomorrow.

I'll post a review of my own after having it on for a few days.

kevr82
09-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Can anyone report on any signal loss problems while using this case? I read one case where someone reported having a drop in signal with a similar case from Verizon.

sparks
09-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Can anyone report on any signal loss problems while using this case? I read one case where someone reported having a drop in signal with a similar case from Verizon.

I have only had the case for a week but absolutely no signal problems for me.

gardobus
09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
No signal problems here. Love my case today just as much as I did when I bought it. Eventually I'll get around to ordering another one in a different color just for the hell of it.

Claytonbing
09-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Just ordered mine from ebay from pawavenue. Wondering about these 7in1 sets from Hong Kong, if it's the same case. They look the same, and for 5 bucks more (inc. shipping) you get 2 cases, an hdmi cable, some screen protectors, and an interesting looking leather case. Of course it is probably all junk and doesn't work.