PDA

View Full Version : Android 3.0 'Gingerbread' Details Emerge [DailyTech]

JimMariner
10-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Update will be full of little, tasty visual treats

http://images.dailytech.com/frontpage/fp__15427_Android_Gingerbread.jpg
Back in June, we reported (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Launches+Q4+Will+Kill+Off+O EM+UI+Skins/article18897.htm) Google's (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Details+Emerge/article19923.htm#) plans to launch a major Android update, "Gingerbread" (Android 3.0), in Q4 2010. Amongst other things, Gingerbread promised to kill off third-party "bloatware" like HTC (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Details+Emerge/article19923.htm#) Sense UI and Motoblur, and would only be available for top-tier devices. Now, thanks to the folks over at (http://phandroid.com/2010/10/18/exclusive-first-android-gingerbread-details/)Phandroid (http://phandroid.com/2010/10/18/exclusive-first-android-gingerbread-details/), we have a slightly better idea of what some of those "other things" may be.

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/17099_Gingerbread.jpg

The Android-fan website has received some new Gingerbread information from a "trusted source close to Google," particularly about some of the graphic enhancements we'll be seeing. As you may know (http://www.dailytech.com/Lead+Designer+of+webOS+Flees+to+Google/article18537.htm), the lead designer of Palm's webOS, Martias Duarte, fled to Google to work on Android last May. While Palm is struggling amid executive-level shakeups (http://www.dailytech.com/UPDATED+HP+CEO+May+Let+Palms+Smartphone+Business+D ie/article18604.htm) (having been acquired by HP) and catastrophic sales numbers of its devices, its OS has largely been praised as sleek and innovative (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Details+Emerge/article19923.htm#). Analysts saw Duarte's arrival at Android as a sign that Google would be taking some visual cues from webOS, and it appears as if they're right.

According to Phandroid, most of the visual changes to Gingerbread thus far are quite subtle. Most of the standard icons, like the Android debugging icon, have taken on a "simpler and cleaner look." The overall OS experience is easier on the eyes and the overall aesthetic has a more uniform feel to it, as if it were designed in an individual effort.

Initially, the changes are most noticeable on the notification bar. Rather than the bright white notifications present on current Android, they've taken on a warmer, "slate grey" color. While everything in the bar itself looks pretty familiar, the carrier branding is more prominently displayed when the notification tab is pulled down.

Not much has changed fundamentally on the home screen. One thing Phandroid points out is that Google is bringing in more of Android's trademark green into various places within the OS. The Browser and Dialer buttons at the bottom of the screen have gone from a muted gray to a bright lime green. But the familiar orange isn't totally gone, either. One change, in fact, embraces it. When scrolling through lists, the edges emit an orange glow and the list bounces back if a top or bottom border is reached -- similar to the "bouncy" effect on iOS or TouchWiz 3.0.

Another visual element that Google's been working on is making the Google apps look and feel more integrated with the OS. For example, the YouTube app (upgraded to version 2.x) has been reshuffled to make it more visually appealing and will feature the ability to control the new "Lean Back" feature. There's even the possibility that the app will allow control of the feature as it plays on Google TV, but no details have been given.

But it's not all eye candy either. While Android 2.2 (http://www.dailytech.com/Google+Unveils+Killer+Android+22+OS+Update+100K+An droid+Phones+Sold+a+Day/article18444.htm) significantly boosted app performance thanks to a Davlik JIT compiler (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+22+Tested+Over+5+Times+Faster+than+21+in+S ome+Benchmarks/article18356.htm), it's been rumored that Google would be implementing additional hardware (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Details+Emerge/article19923.htm#) acceleration into Gingerbread. Though none of these changes/implementations have been confirmed, "it sounds like that just might be the case with Gingerbread," Phandroid reports.

Unlike in the past, when Google didn't stipulate any hardware requirements, Gingerbread is implementing minimal hardware requirements (similar to Windows Phone 7 (http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+Phone+7+Launches+Nov+8+Features+Slick+Inte rface/article19843.htm)). All Gingerbread-powered devices will be running on at least a 1 GHz processor (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Details+Emerge/article19923.htm#), 512 MB RAM, and 3.5" display (4" displays and larger require resolutions of at least 1280 x 760).

There's also the addition of "support for video chat using the same protocols that powers video chat on the desktop (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Details+Emerge/article19923.htm#) version of Google Talk." SIP support for Google Voice is also added, allowing users to receive calls on their Google Voice number over WiFi or cellular data.

Overall, though, Gingerbread is said to resemble HTC's Sense UI in terms of how it changes the stock OS -- meaning it will be much more familiar than, say, a complete overhaul. Rather, it will have a sleeker, more refined feel.

Keep in mind that these are still early details and could change or be greatly added upon in the final build. Google originally aimed for a Q4 2010 launch for the holiday-theme-named update, but, according to Phandroid's impressions, Gingerbread may be pushed to the first part of next year instead.

Mark Kurlyandchik (http://www.dailytech.com/ContactStaff.aspx?id=146) -
October 19, 2010 7:59 AM
Source (http://www.dailytech.com/Android+30+Gingerbread+Details+Emerge/article19923.htm)

fraggy4
10-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm not liking that 1280x760 there, if that's true we might be out of luck for getting 3.0 :(

Dragon
10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
You better make sure verizon don't fill the phones with bloatware....Cause they will do it..and yes they can have say in it (Google that is). Threaten the droid operating system moving to another network and they will get online....

Reir
10-20-2010, 05:54 AM
You better make sure verizon don't fill the phones with bloatware....Cause they will do it..and yes they can have say in it (Google that is). Threaten the droid operating system moving to another network and they will get online....

Google has already stated that they're not going to restrict what the carriers and manufacturers put on their devices.

wmedina1991
10-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Thus is the curse of open source

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dragon
10-20-2010, 11:51 AM
that's wrong of Google....Which they don't care its all about the green...

iDr0id
10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
So guys, if gingerbread is going to be for the droid x. We can expect it in about............... a year. 6 months till they say so, then 6 more months of delays :)

rubi22
10-20-2010, 04:58 PM
What phones actually have a 1280x760 res.?

mustafaluigi
10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm not liking that 1280x760 there, if that's true we might be out of luck for getting 3.0 :(

It stupid because the Droid 2, which is the same phone to a point, would thus meet the requirements for Ginger. SOOOOO hopefully if it gets it, then somebody will port it or something, and with the two both having the bootloader bull, it might still work.

Xzombie69X
10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Wow that sucks 3 month old device and we wont get Gingerbread because of screen resolution....

Schultzey
10-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow that sucks 3 month old device and we wont get Gingerbread because of screen resolution....

Not too surprised... Look at the end of life date of the phone...3/31/2011
http://images.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/articleimage/684/2010/08/thumb_550_verizon-end-of-life.png

goliath602
10-21-2010, 12:15 PM
If 3.0 doesn't come out for the DX im gonna so pissed.

joeyjackpot
10-21-2010, 02:17 PM
This would mean the Evo and Droid X would not receive gingerbread. I'll be damned if sprint AND verizon let that happen.

Aside from the carriers, Android/Google would be SO STUPID to let that happen. Smartphones that come with a 2 year contract should not meet EOL after 9 months, or even a year. I understand if you stop selling them in stores, especially with LTE around the corner, but don't stop the updates and support. That's the quickest way to make me jump on that shiny new verizon iPhone when it comes out.... making me wait 3 months for glitchy froyo and then sticking me with it.

These are gonna be the some of the last major 3G Smartphones phones for Verizon... and considering how long they've kept the LG Envy Touch and the other 3G Multimedia Phones that they clearly haulted development on, I would've expected more for the DX, D2 and DInc

I'm gonna venture, and hope, that the screen resolution requirement has more to do with tablets than with phones. I've never heard of a phone with that level of resolution and I can't imagine that gingerbread will only be available for yet-to-be-released devices... that would be a major upset and really mess up all of the progress Android has made in the market share.

Even the iphone 4 stops at 960-by-640. If you take that "retina display" resolution at 3.5" and increase it proportionally to 4.3, you still wind up with 1180x786... so unless they are forcing Gingerbread to work only with products manufactured with Apple's Retina Display, that number just has to be wrong.

armedmonkey
10-23-2010, 08:45 AM
You sort of make good points but it sounds like you are in denial. VZW and Google are going to make us their *****es again, because no matter what they do people still put up with it.

Also, I TOLD you guys, gingerbread is focused on tablets, but again, nobody wants to believe it.

jimmyjive3
10-25-2010, 01:46 PM

It doesn't mean that has to be your screen resolution. It means that the resolution of the icons and everything else will be 1280x760 meaning text and everything else will look more crisp and refined so its a good thing.

jimmyjive3
10-25-2010, 01:47 PM
This would mean the Evo and Droid X would not receive gingerbread. I'll be damned if sprint AND verizon let that happen.

Aside from the carriers, Android/Google would be SO STUPID to let that happen. Smartphones that come with a 2 year contract should not meet EOL after 9 months, or even a year. I understand if you stop selling them in stores, especially with LTE around the corner, but don't stop the updates and support. That's the quickest way to make me jump on that shiny new verizon iPhone when it comes out.... making me wait 3 months for glitchy froyo and then sticking me with it.

These are gonna be the some of the last major 3G Smartphones phones for Verizon... and considering how long they've kept the LG Envy Touch and the other 3G Multimedia Phones that they clearly haulted development on, I would've expected more for the DX, D2 and DInc

I'm gonna venture, and hope, that the screen resolution requirement has more to do with tablets than with phones. I've never heard of a phone with that level of resolution and I can't imagine that gingerbread will only be available for yet-to-be-released devices... that would be a major upset and really mess up all of the progress Android has made in the market share.

Even the iphone 4 stops at 960-by-640. If you take that "retina display" resolution at 3.5" and increase it proportionally to 4.3, you still wind up with 1180x786... so unless they are forcing Gingerbread to work only with products manufactured with Apple's Retina Display, that number just has to be wrong.

It doesn't mean that has to be your screen resolution. It means that the resolution of the icons and everything else will be 1280x760 meaning text and everything else will look more crisp and refined so its a good thing.

armedmonkey
10-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Erm, that's not what I'm getting from this at all. That CLEARLY says that devices w/ 4 inch displays will need a higher Res.

...Unless you have another source

kb51
10-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Im not worried about gingerbread get froyo right. Where is the new update for that? None to be found still all kind of links in that yet.

armedmonkey
10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
I think I speak for everyone when when I say "what?"

UnlikelySalsero
10-26-2010, 12:41 PM

<snip>

You are right they keep the 3G Multimedia phones, but there are few updates on them, and the ones that exist are to fix existing bugs, not add new features.

Don't shoot the messenger but Verizon/Moto and Google have zero obligation to make sure the next version of Android works on our phones. They certainly have an obligation to get the 2.2 version working across all devices, and that is not finished yet.

Gingerbread MAY ship from Google in the first quarter next year (we'll see), but it will be 3 months or more before it would be finalized for the DX. By then there will be new phones with dual core processors and higher resolution screens will be normal.

Google should target the next generation of phones. Trying to be backward compatible with existing devices means lots of compromises and more bugs. (MUCH more complicated coding...). They always have to do some of that, but the less they do, the better off they are in terms of stability and speed.

If those specs are right, our processor is considered the minimum target. Next years phones will be much more powerful.

My recommendation (YMMV):
Buy phones for what they can do today, any updates are bonuses.

There will always be a better, faster, more powerful phone in less than 12 months. That's life. Imagine the poor guy who took out a 2 year contract on a D1 in Feb of this year, then the DX rolls out in July, the D2 in Aug... same thing... or worse, they upgraded to a EnV3 from a basic phone at the beginning of this year.

The DX is still one of the best phones on the market today, it will be an above average phone when Gingerbread ships.

joeyjackpot
10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
The only reason I find it hard to believe that that resolution is the target resolution for a PHONE not a TABLET is that even the iPhone's retina display would fall short if you proportionally increased the resolution to 4.0" inches from 3.5". Why would we need a resolution (and why would android phone makers agree to only make 4"+ handsets) to a degree of resolution that isn't detectable by the human eye?

1280x760 is a resolution setting somewhere in the middle of my 20" work monitor's display setting options. Would they really force that level of detail onto a 4" screen? I think that will be the req. for tablets, not phones. But that's just my guess.

UnlikelySalsero
10-26-2010, 06:01 PM
The only reason I find it hard to believe that that resolution is the target resolution for a PHONE not a TABLET is that even the iPhone's retina display would fall short if you proportionally increased the resolution to 4.0" inches from 3.5". Why would we need a resolution (and why would android phone makers agree to only make 4"+ handsets) to a degree of resolution that isn't detectable by the human eye?

1280x760 is a resolution setting somewhere in the middle of my 20" work monitor's display setting options. Would they really force that level of detail onto a 4" screen? I think that will be the req. for tablets, not phones. But that's just my guess.

A couple thoughts:

1) They have access to the specs manufactures are expecting for next year and beyond. I have no idea if the specs we see are valid, if they apply to our phone (and your tablet theory may be right on...)

2) Everybody gets all worked up about rumors. (I'll be upset if XXX or YYYY...)

It does say the new version will be for "top tier" devices. That may not include our phone, which is at the top now, but by middle of next year will be a mid grade phone.

They have to keep up with what Apple, Win7 and RIM are doing, and Apple has control of it's hardware, so they can push the envelope too. (Just by putting a front facing camera they changed what is expected of a top-tier phone for the future.)

Smartphones and Android are just coming into their own. Google needs to stay near the top. We will have a fully functional 2.2 for phones like ours (in a worse case), and the next gen of OS for the next gen of phones. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if Gingerbread comes out AND there are some minor update for our phones.

But who knows, and my guess is just a guess. The rumors just get some people worked up even through the details are hardly solid.

And people who expect our phones to remain on the cutting edge are going to be disappointed. New hardware will make our phones look dated in the next six months.

tttuning
10-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I talked to a vzw tech rep today and she told me gingerbread is 2.3 and is only showing on a nexus1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

armedmonkey
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
That rep needs to be fired. She's clueless. It's 3.0, for starters

Ryan M
10-31-2010, 12:31 AM
nope its 2.3 read around and the nexus 2 will be the first phone to have it at launch

Bgarcia316
11-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Any more updates on this/

joeyjackpot
11-01-2010, 12:28 PM
yeah it appears it has been changed to 2.3 lol. or rather, never actually announced as 3.0.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/09/02/gingerbread-android-3-honeycomb/

Ryan M
11-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah I guess everyone just assumed it would be 3.0

joeyjackpot
11-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Just a note on this... 1280x720 is a video resolution which our phone (and most other top tier android devices, present and upcoming (ie, Incredible HD) is capable of playing/recording... not the physical screen resolution... here's hoping that's what this is what that number was meant to refer to... HD-video playback/capture capability rather than actual screen resolution. at least i'm hoping this is what it turns out to be...

makes more sense that it would be a requirement for large screen devices to be HD ready than it would for them to have a resolution denser than apple's retina display.

Shinkalu
11-19-2010, 03:23 PM
You are right they keep the 3G Multimedia phones, but there are few updates on them, and the ones that exist are to fix existing bugs, not add new features.

Don't shoot the messenger but Verizon/Moto and Google have zero obligation to make sure the next version of Android works on our phones. They certainly have an obligation to get the 2.2 version working across all devices, and that is not finished yet.

Gingerbread MAY ship from Google in the first quarter next year (we'll see), but it will be 3 months or more before it would be finalized for the DX. By then there will be new phones with dual core processors and higher resolution screens will be normal.

Google should target the next generation of phones. Trying to be backward compatible with existing devices means lots of compromises and more bugs. (MUCH more complicated coding...). They always have to do some of that, but the less they do, the better off they are in terms of stability and speed.

If those specs are right, our processor is considered the minimum target. Next years phones will be much more powerful.

My recommendation (YMMV):
Buy phones for what they can do today, any updates are bonuses.

There will always be a better, faster, more powerful phone in less than 12 months. That's life. Imagine the poor guy who took out a 2 year contract on a D1 in Feb of this year, then the DX rolls out in July, the D2 in Aug... same thing... or worse, they upgraded to a EnV3 from a basic phone at the beginning of this year.

The DX is still one of the best phones on the market today, it will be an above average phone when Gingerbread ships.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This poster makes some very valid points... they are similar to the view many serious Photographers take when evaluating equipment purchases...

Buy the Smartphone of choice based on what it IS and DOES today... if you spend your time laboring over what it MIGHT or might not do, or what OS it might / might not have in the future, then you will miss the opportunity to enjoy it for what it is --- and to learn from first hand experience how to get MORE out of the next device you will buy down the road...

And yes - if you are reading posts on this forum, you are as much of a tech nut as the rest of us, and the X will NOT be your last Smartphone... besides, LIVE FOR TODAY!;)

Jmama83
11-28-2010, 03:48 PM
As long as it comes to the x, then I'm fine :D

The persuader
11-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Did you root yet? Just Curious...

Jmama83
11-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Did you root yet? Just Curious...
Are you talking to me? If you are, then yes :D

The persuader
11-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Yes that was for you...

Any issues? When did you root?

Thanks...

devilsephiroth
11-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Gingerbread was running on the nexus one 3 months back or so in a video uploaded by google to display the future possibilities of this os update. It was posted on youtube. That is your holy grail of evidence proving this update is clearly intended for devices nexus one or better. I will look up the link on my netbook and submit the link.

Side note, g1 was obsolete within a little over a year. I know because it was my last phone. And I watched as everyone's android surpassed the grand daddy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Links!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJwL_JYk6Cc"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkC-9bD9fow"

i hope this helps.

oscar615
11-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Not too surprised... Look at the end of life date of the phone...3/31/2011
http://images.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/articleimage/684/2010/08/thumb_550_verizon-end-of-life.png

Do you have a date for the fascinate? I am getting ready to by my first smartphone.

Schultzey
11-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Do you have a date for the fascinate? I am getting ready to by my first smartphone.

I do not. I only have my opinion. I think the main reason why many of these smartphones have an EOL of 3/31/10 is to make room for 4g(LTE) phones. Since the Samsung Fascinate is also a 3g phone and shortly released after the X and D2 I would guess the EOL for the Fascinate would be around April to July.

There are many factors into this equation and there will always be a better phone coming out right around the corner. You have to decide for yourself which one you pull the trigger on. I personally would hold out a bit longer for a new release of a phone.

goliath602
11-30-2010, 12:13 AM
I knew when I got my X that it wasn't going to be the most badas$ phone for long. Technology is moving so fast these days. Just be happy that you have the best phone out right now. And it will still be an awesome phone a year from now. Ill most likely get a new phone with my early one year upgrade. But not sooner. If you really want to always have the most badas$ phone then just buy a new one. Don't expect a phone to be #1 forever.

LilTortillaBoy
11-30-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't like knowing that my DX EOL is right around the corner. Can't wait for 2.3 release date to be officially announced already.

Sent from my DROIDX

joeyjackpot
11-30-2010, 08:51 AM
you can tell they are ramping up for 4g... they stopped releasing powerhouse 3G Smartphones. They are now offering these really low/medium-end Androids (about 7 just came out including Citrus, DroidPro, Cosmos Touch, etc - which is a good thing - let people ease into it) for the holidays, but no new OMFG AMAZING phones have come out. The only ones on the horizon are Droid T2 and HTC Incredible HD which is essentially a 4G droid X by HTC.

phatjedi
12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
If you root, do you automatically get the update? Or do you have to do it manually? Have not rooted yet, but it is on my to do list this weekend.;)

joeyjackpot
12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Rooting by itself will not affect the way your update functions, the way it is delivered, or your eligibility to receive it at all.

phatjedi
12-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Rooting by itself will not affect the way your update functions, the way it is delivered, or your eligibility to receive it at all.
Thank you very much. I don't know why I thought you would not receive updates after you rooted. :D

joeyjackpot
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
It's a common fear - no worries ;)

CrAsH_OvErIdE
12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Urban legends for smart phones? Mine grew legs and ran into a at&t store and urinated on a box of I-phones. :-P

stormcrowsuicide
12-10-2010, 11:29 AM
For the people that are 'deciding' weither or not we'll get the update to 2.3 based on the screen resolution.

The article states that "4" displays and larger require resolutions of at least 1280 x 760"

However, the Nexus S only has a resolution of 400x800. It has a 4 inch screen.

So. Lets stop speculating. We'll know when Moto announces it, or someone ports it.

joeyjackpot
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
For the people that are 'deciding' weither or not we'll get the update to 2.3 based on the screen resolution.

The article states that "4" displays and larger require resolutions of at least 1280 x 760"

However, the Nexus S only has a resolution of 400x800. It has a 4 inch screen.

So. Lets stop speculating. We'll know when Moto announces it, or someone ports it.

i'm convinced that's a video playback resolution requirement (HD-Ready), not a physical screen density.

CrAsH_OvErIdE
12-11-2010, 08:59 PM
My DX has a 1200 1200 res. screen... (HDMI) HAHAHA! Not funny.

Sent from a bored dude with a new toy.

SSPN1
12-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Will the droid x have gingerbread???